I'm "falling" for you


Advertisement
Africa
September 8th 2014
Published: September 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

One of 7 Natural wonders of the world and it really is. Victoria Falls is beyond description. As September is the mid of the dry season, the falls on the Zambia side have almost completely dried up and the Zimbabwe side are considerably dehydrated so it is unimaginable what this must be like in May when the torrents are at their peak. Standing near the edge of Devil's Cataract, you get soaked within minutes from the mist that rises 198 meters (600 feet) as a result of the millions of litres of water per SECOND that pour out of the Zambezi River across the 2 km long rim of the gorge. Truly a sight to behold. You have to speak very loudly to be be heard over the roar. Multiple rainbows can usually be seen during an afternoon walk. Since we did our 3.4 km round trip hike in the morning, only one rainbow could I find- alas no pot of gold but the beauty was more brilliant than any coin.

This afternoon we had another safari but this one was on elephant back. After a brief pachyderm orientation, we mounted our wrinkled, dust covered, fly infested, 2 ton pseudo-steed and proceeded to explore some of the Zimbabwe savannah. Baboons, antelope, buffalo, and numerous types of birds showed up for the show. Afterwards, we were able to interact with the elephants- fed them some pellets, sat on their blended knee and gave then a little scratch behind the ears. Certainly something you don't do everyday in what I hear is the snow covered land called home.

Really enjoyed the entire day but what was best you ask??? The plane! The plane! with our luggage- yeah!!! In time for our early departure for Kruger National Park, South Africa tomorrow.

Mouahhhh

MnA

Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb