Mount Meru Trekking


Advertisement
Africa
April 19th 2013
Published: April 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Mount Meru Trekking with Amani Tours

Size: at 4,5685m, the fifth highest in Africa.
Location: Northern Tanzania, near Arusha.

Mount Meru is one of Africa’s most beautiful volcanoes, and it is the second highest mountain in Tanzania. The mountain is located within Arusha National Park. This prime location gives climbers the opportunity to spot some of the birds and wildlife that inhabit the area. When on a Mount Meru trek , the ascend is quite steep, the route to the summit passes over streams, through parkland, forest, a giant heather zone and moorland. The summit is reached by a narrow, barren ridge, which provides stunning views of the Ash Cone lying several thousand feet below in the crater. Weather permitting, Mount Kilimanjaro can be seen in the West. Mt. Meru most recently had a minor eruption about a century ago. The several small cones and craters seen in the vicinity probably reflect numerous episodes of volcanic activity.

Wildlife:
Mount Meru is the photographic centerpiece of Arusha National Park. Its fertile slopes rise above the surrounding savannah and support a forest that hosts diverse wildlife, including nearly 400 species of birds, and also monkeys and leopards.

How To Get There:
A few kilometres from Arusha Town. About one hour’s drive from Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO).

What To Do:
Day or overnight hikes on the plateau. Nature trails on the lower reaches. Mount Meru trekking is possible via several trekking routes to the summit and other more-demanding mountaineering routes. Meru travel also includes trout fishing.

When To Go:
Clearest and warmest conditions from December to February, but also dry (and colder) from July-September. The best time to climb Meru is between October and February. But also June to September, while it is colder then.

Accommodation:
There are two huts available to climbers on the mountain and firewood is supplied. There are several hotels and campsites outside Arusha.

NOTE:
Climb Mount Meru slowly to increase your acclimatisation time and maximise your chances of reaching the summit. To avoid altitude sickness, allow a minimum of three nights, preferably even more for the climb. Take your time and enjoy the beauty of the mountain.

Day 1: After breakfast, drive to Momella Gate, start the climb, walk through the rain forest for about 3 hours and reach Miriakamba Hut (2800m.)

Day 2: After breakfast, continue ascending through alpine moorland vegetation for about 3 hours and reach Saddle hut (3500m)

Day 3: Early morning ascend to the summit Meru Summit (4566m) and descend back to Momella gate where our vehicle will be waiting to provide the transfer to Arusha, overnight at Impala hotel on bed and breakfast.

For more information about our Mt. Meru trekking itineraries please visit: www.Amani-Tours.com

Advertisement



Tot: 0.609s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb