5 Days/ 4 Nights - Roof of Africa – Marangu Route


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania
April 13th 2013
Published: April 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Kilimanjaro Climbing - Marangu Route by Amani Tours


5 Days/ 4 Nights - Roof of Africa – Marangu Route




Total Hiking Distance: About 96 km’s

Affectionately known as the “Coca-Cola Route”, Marangu is by far the most popular route to the summit of Kilimanjaro. This could partly be as a result of the fact that the Marangu is the least expensive route, but more so, perhaps the fact that it is possible to do the Marangu route in 5 days, thereby getting to the summit one day earlier than on the Machame route. This is not always the best way due to a shorter acclimatisation period. The Marangu route does however offer you the option of spending an extra acclimatisation day on the mountain. This extends the route to a 6-day march, greatly increasing your chances of success.

Day 1: After breakfast, drive to Marangu gate. The first days’s climb is to Mandara Hut 9,000ft (2743m), the climber enters the rain forest. It is the 3 hour walk to Mandara Hut through verdant scenery. The forest teems with birdlife, black and while Colobus Monkey and other Monkeys maybe seen.

Day 2: The second trek Horombo Hut (12,335ft, 3760m) is about 10 miles and takes six to seven hours. About half an hour after leaving Mandara Hut, the climber emerges from the rain forest onto alpine meadow. This is very pretty day with splendid views possible of the peaks and the plains below the mountain. The Senecio may be seen. Higher still the vegetation becomes thinner and the effect of altitude commonly experienced as shortness of breath may begin to be felt.

Day 3: On the third day the climb continues to Kibo Hut (15,520ft, 4730m) which is at the foot of Kibo peak. The route takes the climber up to the saddle between the peaks of Kibo and Mawenzi and then across the high altitude desert to the Hut. Again the climb takes about six hours.

Day 4: On the forth dat the mountaineer raises at bout 1 am to attempt the summit. The rim of the Crater at Gilman’s Point (18,635ft, 5680m) recognised as the top is reached after stiff climb up very steep loose since slope. On average this takes 6 hours. Those who feel strong enough can then continue for two hours along the Crater rim to attain the summit at Uhuru Peak (19,340ft, 5895m) the climber return to Horombo Hut the same day.

Day 5: This complete the descend to Marangu gate via Mandara Hut. There will be transport at Marangu gate to Moshi or Arusha.

What's Included:
Accommodation Full Board (All Meals)
Transportation with Driver/Guide During Safari
Vehicle Supplement Fee for all Parks
All Park Fees

What's NOT Included:
Costs of a Personal Nature
Tips to your Driver/Guide During Safari
Alcoholic Beverages

For more information about our Mt. Kilimanjaro climbing routes please visit: www.Amani-Tours.com

Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb