Dancing Like A Mzunga (Foreigner)


Advertisement
Africa
November 14th 2011
Published: December 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 8 - Day 7 of tour

While the rest of the group visited the gorillas, six of us visited a non-profit organization for underpriviledged children (Little Angels - http://www.littleangelsuganda.org/). We sat in a classroom as the teacher ran through some exercises but we were more of a disruption since all of the kids wanted us to sit by them or hold their hands. There were about 45 kids in each classroom and each one of them competing for our attention. After deciding that sitting with them wasn't working, since they stopped paying attention to the teacher, I went to the front and started (trying) to sing along, and follow the teacher.

Then the recess bell was rung and we went outside to a small yard. Two small children grabbed each of Ezio's hands and led him outside, and down the stairs to the yard. It was too cute! He was so tall, and they were so small. They had a guitar player, and then all of the kids started to sing songs and dance. One girl, no older than 8, was an excellent dancer and she went to the center, and would swing her hip, then clap and jump. She pulled each one of us into the centre to dance (the women only). I must've looked ridiculous since my hips don't move like the little girl's!

We then served the children breakfast of a cup of porridge made from maize and water. They eagerly gobbled it up.

Myself and two other travellers sponsored children and the person running the orphanage suggested that we take the children to the town since it was a treat and they don't have the opportunity (it's about 10km away but very hilly). We asked them, and Ava, my sponsored child wanted to go along with another child. We climbed into a canoe made from a hollowed out tree (the orphanage is located on the lake shore) and it was pretty tippy. Eek, and no life jacket, AND I can't swim! We paddled to our hotel, and then drove into town.

In Kabale, we bought the kids lunch, and Ava had a heaping plate of food (enough for an adult) and she almost ate her whole plate! We also went to the supermarket and purchased a few necessities.

I find myself questioning about whether I made the best decision to sponsor a child and whether I'm condoning dependency or actually helping...

BTW, since last writing this, I found out that sponsoring children in this method may be more common than I originally thought. Private school is expensive, and public schools are not very good and often require purchase of school supplies and uniforms. Money which parents can't afford to spend and by sponsoring a child it allows the child to attend school.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb