Nairobi and Pleasant Surprises


Advertisement
Africa
November 7th 2011
Published: November 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 1

We arrived in Nairobi around 10pm, and compared to India (where all of the taxi drivers were trying to convince Ezio to go with him) it was easy to hire a taxi. We booked the taxi from a desk inside the airport, and the information desk escorted us to the taxi.

We arrived at our hotel in Nairobi, the Hotel Boulevard, and our room and washroom were spacious.

The next day, we woke up at 9am and ate breakfast (included). There was a surprisingly large selection (pankakes, fruit, tomatoes, bacon, potatoes, etc.) of food; we are accustomed to being served white bread and tea / coffee in other countries.

We had the entire day free, and decided to explore Nairobi even though it is nicknamed "Nairobbery". We didn't feel threatened or in danger any time at all! We were approached several times about purchasing a safari, but we politely declined and they would leave us alone.

We visited the convention centre (where coincidentally there was an accounting conference) and went to the top of the tower where there were 360 degree views. Beyond the city, you could see the savannah (Nairobi National Park). Lunch was at "the best African restaurant like mum used to make". When we walked into the restaurant, we were the only tourists, and everyone stared at us! We had a meal of chicken, rice, coleslaw, veggies and pop for only 560 Kenyan shillings (approx $6).

There was still much time left after walking around the city, so we visited the Nairobi National Museum. The highlight was the humanoid skulls and skeletons.

Nairobi has a bad reputation after dark, and we ate Chinese food at the hotel restaurant.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb