Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, its off to Alexandria I go!


Advertisement
Africa
March 19th 2006
Published: April 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Haramlik PalaceHaramlik PalaceHaramlik Palace

Where the president stays when he's in town.
Today started off early, getting up at about 6am and out the door by about 6:30am! Moustafa picked me up, and then we drove to Heilopolis to pick up Terry, a friend of a friend's who was going to be going with us for the day.
Then it was time for the three hour drive to Alexandria. Moustafa kept teasing me beacuse I kept falling asleep! I can't help it that car rides in general put me to sleep!!! 😊
Anyway, we got up to Alexandria and we drove along the Corniche that skirts the Mediteranean sea. It was so different from Cairo, as one would expect it felt more mediteranean!
We made our way first to the palace of Heramlik on the eastern side of town. It is currently used as the presidential residence when the president is in town. Historically it was used as a red cross hospital during WWI among other things. We stopped here to enjoy a nice cup of mint tea, while overlooking the bay and the lighthouse.
After driving around the grounds it was time to drive back west. Once again driving down the Corniche, we drove to the Qaitbey
Boats on the MediteraneanBoats on the MediteraneanBoats on the Mediteranean

A great view back towards Alexandria from the Citadel. The large white building in the background is the great library
Citadel, passing the great Library of Alexandria along the way.
Moustafa dropped us off at the Citadel and told us we would have an hour to walk around. Since we weren't quite sure where we were going, Terri and I accidentally went into a really random stuffed fish museum. (for those of you that know it, think of the Bell Museum with wierd fish and as I recall some of the backgrounds painted with flourescent paint!) It was pretty bizarre, but an interesting side trip!
Wandering around the Citadel was amazing. Its located on the end of a point, where looking one way you stare out at the Mediterranean and the other you look back at this great city. The fort was built on the site of Pharos, Alexandria's great lighthouse, and one of the 7 ancient wonders of the world. (Obviously its no longer there, but its a historic place none the less!)
By this time we had worked up quite the appetite! Moustafa took us to a local restaurant specializing in fresh fish... at this place, you pick out the actual fish you are going to eat and how you want it cooked. Then you
Qaitbay CitadelQaitbay CitadelQaitbay Citadel

The majestic Citadel!
go sit down and they prepare it for you. In addition to the fish we had the typical Egyptian appetizers of Hummous, Babaganough, salad, flat bread, and Tahini. The whole meal was VERY delicious, and since we had moustafa to help us, it was extremely affordable! (only 40EL each for the whole meal!!!)
Next it was on to Pompey's pillar, a large limestone pillar which used to be a part of some old Temple built back in 246BC. It was interesting but I will admit not too exciting!
From there it was a short drive to the Catacombs of Kom es-Shoqafa. This is an ancient three level tomb complex. There are no bodies left here, thankfully! The adventure down was great, and at the very bottom level I was reminded of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, minus the rats! It was pretty cool!
It was beginning to get late so we decided it was time to head back to Cairo. Making the three hour journey home, I arrived back at Chris's place. He, his neighbor Kristin and her boyfriend were kind enough to have dinner waiting for me when I got back. It was a great
Pompey's PillarPompey's PillarPompey's Pillar

The odd random pillar we went to see!
sit down meal after a long day!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0809s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb