Saqqara


Advertisement
Egypt's flag
Africa » Egypt » Lower Egypt » Cairo
March 18th 2006
Published: April 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Funerary Complex of ZoserThe Funerary Complex of ZoserThe Funerary Complex of Zoser

Chris took this one of me at the entrance to the Funerary Complex of Zoser, pretty impressive huh?
Today I finally got to spend some time with Chris! Its been fun exploring Cario on my own with Moustafa, but I came here to visit Chris so it was good to have time with him.

We went to Saqqara another pyramid field near Cairo. (Did you know that there are about 70 pyramids in Egypt?! I didn't!) Saqqara is where the infamous step pyramid is located. It was great to get there with chris, he had never been there before! We wandered around the Funerary complex of Zoser (which sounds like the ghoul in ghostbusters!), his pyramid (the step pyramid) and then went inside a second pyramid, the pyramid of Teti. This was the most ornate pyramid I went into! Going deep into this pyramid that looked like a pile of dirt, we were surprised to see all the ornate carvings in the walls. There were heiroglyphs, reliefs carved into the walls, and stars carved into the ceiling... things you would assume are inside a pyramid but surprisingly aren't! It was beautiful!

Next it was on to Memphis, where the largest Ramses II statue is located. It is no longer standing, but it was amazing none the
Chris with Ramses Chris with Ramses Chris with Ramses

Chris infront of the GIGANTIC Ramses II statue in Memphis
less! We looked at the other of the lesser monuments there, including an alabaster Sphinx.

Moustafa then took us to a carpet school, where we were able to see children learning how to make these beautiful handmade carpets. There were different types, ones with pictures made of camel hair, ones made out of silk with traditional designs, each was different and unique. I decided against purchasing some of them, though it came back to haunt me later and I had to get them anyway!

Then it was back to Giza, we'd planned on watching the nightly light show... but got there early, so decided to explore the dunes next to the pyramids on horseback! Its been about 12 years since I was on a horse, but it all came back to me! Renting the horses from a local who was friends of Moustafa, we were led through the little town of Giza an onto the sand dunes next to the great pyramids. We felt like Lawrence of Arabia as we ran across the dunes! It was great! It was quite the experience, neither one of us was expecting to go riding that day so needless to say we
Crazy kids at the Pyramids!Crazy kids at the Pyramids!Crazy kids at the Pyramids!

Chris and I atop a hill overlooking the Pyramids of Giza!
didn't have the right shoes! I think it just added to the adventure and thrill as you are racing across the sand! You aren't quite sure if you will stay on the horse, but atleast if you fall its a soft landing! (For the record, neither one of us fell off!) Both horses had quite the personalities! My horse liked to walk near Chris's, and his liked to walk sideways! Ah well, it all added to the fun adventure of the day!

The light show was cheezy as I predicted, but its still a must when in Cario! It is kinda cool to see the pyramids lit up with different colors, but the narative that goes along with the show is a bit corny. We watched from a rooftop restaurant near by, so we could eat and drink while taking in the show! Yet another good night in Cairo!
-


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

The light showThe light show
The light show

Here's an attempt at the nightly pyramid lightshow... taken from our table at dinner! You can sort of see the sphinx infront of the pyramids, this restaurant was located above the formentioned Pizza Hut!


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb