Malawi


Advertisement
Africa
April 21st 2010
Published: April 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ok, so time for another very brief update!
Im now in Malawi, having completed the gorilla loop and having new people join the trip (cant remember what i said in the last entry - sorry if i repeat myself!).
We have spent 4 days on Zanzibar - it is amazing, completely clear blue sea, beautiful sunsets over the ocean, white sand etc etc. spent three days at the beach and then one day in stone town - i did a spice tour and then was taken to see the old slave market site - we saw where the slaves were kept before the market - a tiny room with enought room (apparently) for 75 people. There wasnt much room left after our group of about 15 went in, and those slaves were kept there for at least 3 days - it was completely disgusting. also went snorkling in zanzibar - spent a few hours on a dhow, had lunch on the beach - grilled kingfish, rice, salsa, fresh fruit - was delicious! spent every evening at sunset in the sea, watching the sun go down. went out for two meals to local restaurants, bought a rediculous amount of gifts and such. went to a beach party one night, followed by a swim inthe sea at 3.30am - brilliant fun! the guys decided that skinny dipping was the best way to go - laura and i were in our underwear !
that was followed by three days of driving to get to lake malawi, which is completely stunning! it has beaches as well, and blue water, which is infested with bilharzia, a disease that can casue internal bleeding and so on, but a test in the UK will determine if treatment for that is necessary - ypu dont suffer any problems for at least a few months, if not years apparently, so i will make it home safely!! spent two night sleeping in a hammock ther, insetad of the tent - was interesting - every time i turned over, i woke up to make sure ididnt fall out! was nice to get up with the subn eachday though, and there were no mosquitos there either so it was safe. went for early morning swims, as well as one late night one, after pig day. On pig day, we all contributed $2 adn had a pig slaughtered and then had a hog roast - we were responsible for turning the pig on the spit, and we had a 'pig king' who was in charge for 20 minutes and had to make up 2 rules, most of which were to do with drinking - you cant point at anything, or drink three fingers of your drink, you cant call anyone by their first name, or drink three fingers, you cant say pig etc... was good fun - had my first ever beer! i was very proud...
we are now in Lilongwe, on a free day so have come into town to have a look around, use the internet, get some lunch etc.
will try to write again soon - i apologise that this is short and not much information! and for all the mistakes - dont have time to correct them!

Advertisement



22nd April 2010

I enjoyed your Malawi post. I have always wanted to go there, and not just because I want to see where Madonna gets her kids from. My blog is looking for travel photos and travel stories from unique places like Malawi. If you have the time, email us some at dirtyhippiesblog@gmail.com or check us out at dirty-hippies.blogspot.com Continued fun on your travels, Eric
22nd April 2010

It's all happening....
Felt out of breathe just reading it !! Hectic times rushing from one beach to another and then days of idyll (or is that idle). Sounds like it's all going swimmingly. Love, Dad xx

Tot: 0.49s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb