CWB Kenya Day 6


Advertisement
Africa
April 1st 2010
Published: April 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 6 (Thursday) -

Unfortunately, bad weather led to our morning coaching session at Karura Forest to be cancelled.

The afternoon coaching session provided us coaches with a firm test of our skills, as a result of the earlier onslaught of rain. The playing field of the school was more of a swamp then a cricket field. This meant we had to improvise; coaching cricket in a corridor and a petite assembly hall was definitely a first.

Although the number of pupils were relatively low, in comparison to our previous session, we were able to deliver are effective session considering the bleak weather. We reinforced our HIV/AID awareness message in an enjoyable manner. Furthermore, the children were engaging throughout the three hours and managed cultivate plenty of white teeth. I am amazed to see Kenyan children eagerness both to listen and learn.

The Indian population in Kenya is surprisingly very high. I was given a rare opportunity 'show off' my roots to one of the Indian teachers. After several sentences in Gujarti, she informed me that she 'prefered speaking in English'....speaking volumes for my native language skills.

NM

Part 2...

Over at the Ruaraka Sports club, myself (MA) and Tom joined Rich AKA "Mr Dick" for the assessment part of the level 2 course. After intorductions Mr Dick handed us our groups as our nervous examinees produced a mixed bag of coaching sessions - amongst the group, ex Kenyan internationals, a national coach and various coaches and teachers, some with no cricket experience whatsoever. After the assessments we played a nice match, Tom's team coming up trumps (convincingly) again, I am yet to win over the small guy. I then used the opportunity to get some practice in with a few of the lads, and Belinda (keep an eye on her come the ICC tournament later in the year) flinging down 15 minutes of ball to me. We enjoyed lunch and then headed into town for a walk at browse in the shops before meeting up with the others and enjoying a terrific evening at the Gymkana ground with numerous Kenyan Cricket head honchoes (including Eldine Baptiste - coach and 80's West Indies All Rounder), coaches, officials, players etc. Neil thoroughly enjoyed the fish, ask him if it were any good 'cos no one else got any!!

MA

Advertisement



Tot: 0.642s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb