CWB Kenya Day 5


Advertisement
Africa
March 31st 2010
Published: April 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Day 5 (Wed) -

9.00 - Arrived at the Ruarka Sports Club again but this time we werent greeted with kids!

9.00 - 5pm - We were welcomed by the Cricket Coaches and the staff from Cricket Kenya. The day consisted of pretty much the same theme as the yesterday with Dickie reinforcing the coaching points from our sessions. Today Richard took Neil's place. Today was a lot of fun for all with bringing in the art of bowling, off spin and leg spin. I delivered the off spin and guess what I actually got it to turn 2 feet!!!!! All those boys from HCC don't laugh!

We went through various games so that the coaches would be able to use them in the future coaching sessions. The afternoon was a video analysis session on batting and bowling, and Dickie managed to put 3 of the delegates asleep for half an hour!

Dickie then issued the delegates with a theme for their final assesment tomorrow and reminded them that they would need to do their homework which got a little chuckle from some. We left around 4pm and Richard and I wished them all good luck for tomorrow. Mick the Aussie and Tom will be helping Dickie to assess them.

AG

Part 2...

The team's school visits continued with a trip to Murang'a Primary School, close to the centre of the city. Long grass on the playing field posed some problems, leading to some interesting adaptations of the front foot drive. Undaunted, the pupils responded with enthusiasm and some extra time was needed to recover items of kit put to good use by the entire school population. The view of cricket coaching taking place under the shadow of Nairobi's highrise buildings was certainly different, as was the rather unwelcoming presence of a large slum market separated from the school by a ten-foot high wall.

However, the high spririts of the team suffered a severe blow as a result of the curious incident of the stolen rucksack. The loss from the team bus whilst in heavy traffic served to remind us of the harsh reality of daily life in one of the most dangerous cities in the world. The visit to the city police station proved to be the least enjoyable item on the project itinerary to date!

MD


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0403s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb