First Weekend


Advertisement
Africa
February 21st 2010
Published: February 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

First Weekend
Sunday night and I am hoping that later this evening I can do a load of internet jobs on one voucher rather than end up wasting it. I had another night of coughing last night so a bit spacey and need to be alert fo r Monday an hopefully sorting out my role before it is time to leave.
Yesterday I was dragged kicking and screaming a bit to the local mall - I am such a lover of shopping!I did need some things for school for plan B and we organised taxi there and back for the eight of us which turned out to be cheaper than the bus and avoided hanging about at the very hot bus stop and risking missing the bus which stops running back midday on Saturday!
We got onto the beach again and some of us planned planned to swim and body surf but it was very wind. When we got in there was quite a strong undertow so common sense prevailed and we paddled up and down the beach for a bracing windy walk
The shebeen trip was early and although three of us had been before this time it was a dance and drum troupe who were good if a bit loud. They got a few up to dance but I was the wrong side of the table. Maybe tonight there will be a chance when we have another group performing at the hotel. The shebeen was a gift excursion from Calabash. There was also a good youth gospel choir from a local church eliciting the usual swaying and clapping and attempts to join in as the lyrics tend to be very simple and repeated.

We have decided to repeat any of the trips which are included with the new volunteers who have not done them before so today was Addo Elephant Park. The journeys to get to these places are interesting and we could see more of the development going on building a new deep water port further to release Port Elisabeth and emphasize tourism here. We were lucky and saw lots of elephants at the water holes. WE could also see how they have developed the park as there are some very nicely built hides for watching animals and birds. Another really interesting developed is the increased land absorbed enabling more elephants. The will also have a section of bay wit some small islands where they are going to organize watching great white sharks and whale sharks. I think I have remembered that correctly. It is not ready yet but will enhance the experience.
I had not remembered being told before that the park started when General Pretorious decided to shoot more than a hundred elephants in one day in the 1920’s. There was a protest and the remaining 11 were saved and protected. Interesting they were not shot because they were a mutation and did not have tusks so the Addo female elephants do not have tusks. I have not got time to look and see if I knew this last time.


Advertisement



21st February 2010

ephalumps
Didn't know that fascinating snippet re the Addo elephants. Interesting to hear about the extensions to the park, which can only be a good thing. Good luck for your stint tomorrow, hopefully cough free,
22nd February 2010

Just got caught up on your last 2 blogs...I would LOVE to see the elephants and any other animals! if I could just be "beamed" there in sort of a "star wars" process - it would be perfect! your change in assignment sounds like the situation got a bit confusing...hopefully - since you had the younger ones last time it won't be too difficult to redirect...and I hope your cought gets better quickly - that is a big annoyance.. Dagny is loving reading your blog - don't know if she commented to you as well as me! sending love! Jillian

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb