Overland continued


Advertisement
Africa
August 8th 2009
Published: August 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Right, so we left Namibia and headed into Botswana on August 1st. Border crossing was easy and we headed for a town known only as Maun. Now, if anybody who reads this has ever been to Maun, you will know that there is absolutely nowt and I mean nowt there. I think it may have had a Spar, thats all. We got supplies for Mwai to cook and then headed off to our campsite which was a place called Sitatunga. It was quite large campsite with cow's. The cows had bells and im not kidding, the size of Big Ben or least it seemed like that.

That night I headed to the boozer with what is now the famous five - Me, Kenny, Martin, Peter and Big Pieter. Now you will probably see the boys in our picture's on facebook but you wont see Big Pieter. Oh no. This is because Big Pieter and he was about 6ft5ins was also our senior by about 35 years, but what a bloke. He had the banter of a lad no more than 25 and he had the stories of Sir Francis Drake or Sir Ranuplh Fiennes. No kidding this man has been to just about every place on the planet. Anyway that night we proceeded to get rather Merry in the pub and had a really good night.

Next morning we were up for a 6am Breakfast before jumping on a open truck and setting off on a 45 minute ride to where we would begin our adventure into the Okavango Delta. God thank Peter who brought his blanket because without that and mine and Kim's sleeping mats it would have been, with wind chill correctly calibrated into this, -40c. When we got to where the Makoro's were, its fair to say that we were frezzing. Anyway, everyone got a guide and a Makoro and were happily sitting ready for the off. Me and Kim got Moses, he was 22 and the 1st thing he said to me was "Do you know Michael Jackson is dead?" Lets be honest here, this fella did even know what day it was or what a TV was but he knew that the King of Pop was dead. So me and Kim got in the Makoro and were probably the 1st one's to set off. I know why now, its because the edge's of our Makoro sat know more than an eight of an inch of the water and every tip would bring water into our Vessel and in turn make Kim shout "JESUS CHRIST, It's coming in Craig." Never in all the time i have known Kim has she used my name so much.

So we Makoro'd down the Delta to our Campsite, this was after turning back round for the Fish, Moses, had left when everyone stopped for a pee break. We got there 3 hours after we started and I was burnt to a crisp, I was, but not as bad as Gina who looked like a tomato with a white eye mask from her sunglasses.

We headed out for the next 2 days walking in groups of 6 or 7 looking for animals and we managed to find a few aswel. Elephants, Zebra's, Bamboons, Snakes and Pumba's. Quite good considering that some group's go and see nothing. The highlight though was when we got back to camp on the 2nd morning, we saw three bull Elephants crossing the Delta about 35 Yards from where we were. Amazing is the only word that can really sum it up.

On that second afternoon, we both had unfortunate mishaps - mine was worse than Kim's. Well that is what she thinks anyway. Basically, Binocular's in my pocket, Camera round my neck and dressed head to toe, I headed out on the Delta in a Makoro. The 1st trip I made in the wooden Makoro went as smooth as you like, i glided through the reads like a duck does through a pond. The 2nd on the other hand was not so good. I changed to a fibreglass makoro. All i can say about those is, what unstable bastard's they are. With managing to get to the middle beside Martin, I, and I dont know how to this day, managed to flip it and all my belonging's in the Delta. Kim back at camp was summoned by laughter, before i had time to come up for breath, she was there giving me the grilling of my adult life. Her main problem was the Camera. Now i bought the Camera we have because its waterproof. She wasnt having any of that though, she gave me the good old, what if it had sunk??? Well, i couldnt argue and so chose not to try.

Anyway, after pulling the sunken Fibreglass Makoro out of the Delta, i headed to dry off. As i was away though, guess what happened?? Yes, thats right, Kim fell in out of a Makoro. That evening we went for a sunset Makoro cruise to Kim's displeasure as we were nearly sinking and Hippo's were literally 30 Yards away not looking happy.

Next day after one final walk out, we took our tents down and boarded our Makoro's again, this time though I had Peter because Kim couldnt cope with the possible sinking and we headed back to Nick the Driver's glorious cooking. We spent the night having a few beers and chilling before leaving for Chobe the next day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb