Heading To Shamba!


Advertisement
Africa
July 13th 2009
Published: July 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So i know i said we are heading out of the main city and i wont be able to write for another two weeks in my last one but i decided to update one more time before i leave. We are heading out in about an hour and Emily and I decided to come back to check the interent once more before we leave and plus we were bored ha ha.

This morning we just checked out of our guest house and walked aroudn ate chapati with avocado for breakfast and now just relaxing waiting to leave to shamba. The truck went earlier today and took all our bags so now we get the pleasure of going with the dalla dalla for like 3 hours in a good case. The truck will be waiting to us right next to the river ... oh yeah i guess i should explain ... in order to get to shamba we have to take 2 dalla dallas which are buses that are crouded and if you dont have a person sitting on your lap then you are in a good place! they are crouded you cannot even breath and on many cases you see strangers sitting on laps of people ha ha! Lets not talk about air which is very low flow because so many people are on the bus but that is because it can take another bus another hour to arrive and with your luck it will be crouded as well (yes it happened to us before!) So after you get off the second bus you reach a river where you need to cross by foot and then you get to walk for an hour till you reach the school ... but today the truck will hopefully wait for us in the river to take us all we are about 20 people or so i believe. oh yeah we went to the mall in the truck ha ha full of white people and they all were laughing at us so much and called us muzomgus ... which means white people and i am actually growing to hate that word so much! like it is starting to bother me but then i have to keep reminding myselfthat its mostly younger children that say it and they dont mean it offensivly.

Anyways so yeah we are heading to the school today and a lot of you guys asked us what we do there and i keep saying read my blog because its annoying to respond over and over again ha ha sorry its just i write it like million times so yeah.

We get to teach which by far is amazing because when the kids stop being shy and start talking you feel like you just climbed the highest mountain on earth! My favorite class that we teach is this business/economics class that we talk about local issues that are happening and how can we solve it in a big group! I also teach math which is okay i am not a huge fan about teaching it but its nice to know i am helping them know more material plus the fact that its in english is better for them. you ask how come? well here in Tanzania you get tested out of forms (which are the class levels) and those tests are all in english so its seems funny when the teachers teach them mostly in swailli ... i set through a biology class and the teacher wrote the notes in english but taught the class in swailli and i dont see much sense to it. This next week i also get to teach chemistry ... beginner chemistry and i am quite excited about it because i always loved general chemistry! And thank god there are books there to help us prepare for classes because i am pretty sure i forgot some of the terms ha ha but hey must be like a bicycle.

Another project we are going to do this week is helping build the dormatery! The other volunteers actually told us they get up at around 6-7 and build till around 8 oclock in the evening with only about 2 breaks or so for lunch and dinner ... we told them we would love to help them build when we are not teaching! I think it will be a great addition to the school because at the moment some of the students are sleeping in the classrooms on the floor with just a thin matress and no nets ... which is the reason that so many students in our school get malaria! So now it will be one more building that will just be meant for sleeping and i think it will be great. I think after building it they will have to fund raise for beds and matresses because i dont think the organization has the money for it right now! It is sad to see how hard it is for them to spend the money for even just a net! Emily and I decided to adapt a student that could not efford to go to school we bought him a net and a matress and he is goign to shamba with us today. We told him that he has to attend all classes and prove to us that it is worth sending him money to go to school ... his name is Anderson its a long story but we are not sure if he is using us to get money or he actually wants to go to school so we told him to come with us to shamba for a month and see how he likes and if he does well we will send him to a better school that he wants to go to close home from the money we fund raised back in america. Its hard to help everyone here because everyone has a heart breaking story and you just cannot help everyone so its hard to choose who and how.

Other then that i am sure we are going to plant more vegtables and fruits because ba ba (hazakia) wants money to come from the land which totally makes sense. The school has a 100 acres of land and it should be farmed. he wants the school to become a program that will bring more money hance will be able to get more students in and grow. Right now the students are around 80 or so i believe and none of them pay tuition because they are orphans and the school it self doesnt have enough space to house them so if the school will be able to bring money in he will be able to build more buildings and housing units and open the doors to more orphens.

What else ... my family is heading to israel and i am kinda of jealous. i love that place! and i wish i could go to both places this summer but its not possible. I wouldnt change my experience here for anything and i feel like i have already learned so much and helped so much but i also have this longing feeling for home (israel and my family).

Anyways i miss you all and hope all is well,

Love Liron

P.S.
Sorry for the many spelling mistakes its just this internet is slow and im doing million things at once and its by the hour so i am trying to do them all in that one hour pay 😊 ahhh i miss free fast wireless back home with my beautiful new mac ... the good life! love you all ...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb