Isibindi Zulu Lodge


Advertisement
Africa
June 13th 2009
Published: June 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The yummy pizzaThe yummy pizzaThe yummy pizza

departing out Empangeni we bought some yummy pizza
June 13, 2009

Waking up to the smell of a cooked breakfast we start packing our goods and say goodbye to the lovely people in Empangeni. We stop at the Debonairs, for some yummy pizza and then hit the road.

Our next stop will be one of our sister lodges; Isibindi Zulu Lodge; situated in the battlefields. Driving on a road we have never driven on, I have to be navigator, and I suck at it, to Chris’ frustration. We frequently stop in small towns and ask for directions. The drive is absolutely stunning, we drive on a small road between some high trees, then hit the flats, where local Zulu communities are clearly visible in the distance. We pass the turn off to Dundee and drive on a rather dodgy road with lots of potholes till we almost get to a Zulu settlement. We phone Bruce who is looking after the lodge to find directions and then we take the dirt road to the lodge. The view is stunning, the road, well it was like driving on one of those shaking exercise machines, not even the radio wanted to work.

We finally get to the lodge, and
ZululandZululandZululand

On the way to Zulu Lodge, there was a white line from an aeroplane...quite cool
were welcomed by Bruce, who took us on a tour to see the lodge. He takes us to our room, which is built in traditional Zulu argitecture. It is stunning and I love the feel of the room. We are freezing, not use to the cold weather. After a nice hot bath I am ready for the cold night ahead. In the main dining area, Bruce has got the fireplace going and a glass of red wine gets handed to me. Chris and I play some Scrabble but our minds are not geared for thinking and relaxing kicks in. Bruce is busy in the kitchen and before long we sit in front of a plate of lambschank on mashed potatoes, cooked green beans and fresh potuaguese rolls. It is a meal for a king.

With our bellies full our eyes start closing and we say our goodnights and snuggle deep underneath the blankets.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Our roomOur room
Our room

Our room at Isibindi Zulu Lodge
The bathroomThe bathroom
The bathroom

The nicest bath sunk in the ground
Room with a viewRoom with a view
Room with a view

Our room and from the balcony we had a stunning view
FireFire
Fire

To shelter us from the freezing night
RelaxingRelaxing
Relaxing

Chris Relaxing in front of the fire
BruceBruce
Bruce

Our host for the night


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb