Africa General Comments


Advertisement
Africa
August 8th 2008
Published: August 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Southern / Eastern Africa General Comments

This was certainly one of the highlights of our world trip with some very interesting things to do and places to see.

With some proper planning, a very nice trip can be organized including Masai Mara, Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater in Kenya and Tanzania. We suspect there are some equally interesting adventures in Kruger Park in South Africa.

Johannesburg turned out to be our “home base” for most of our travel here. Quite frankly there is not a lot for tourists in Joburg and in fact there are some security issues they have to deal with. Our accommodation in Joburg was excellent and maybe one of the best Beef Steaks we’ve ever had was enjoyed at The Grillhouse Restaurant in the Rosemont area. ( adjacent to the Hyatt Regency Hotel ) This is a great restaurant with excellent food and service and reasonable prices for what they offer. In hind sight we would spend less time here on a future visit.

We enjoyed very much our visit to the Cape Town area with great accommodation overall the best food we’ve had and some very interesting things to see and do. We would certainly come back to the Cape Town and south cape area. Probably at a different time of year as this was a winter visit. ( and yes it felt like winter )

Our trip to Zambia and the fantastic Livingstone falls was a very memorable part of our trip. We could easily spend another week here just relaxing and enjoying the place. Put this one on your list for sure.

Overall this is a very interesting part of the world and a great place for a vacation. It is a shame that there are some security issues in nearly all the places we visited. ( Mostly driven by the poverty and unemployment combined with the movement of illegal immigration of people fleeing a worse situation in their home countries. ) We never felt threatened at any time but it is obvious that you must be careful wherever you travel here. We would not rule out renting a car and doing some of the trip on our own in a future visit. Roads are good and with some proper planning a good road trip could be put together.

Our Africa experience was well worth the time and money spent. From talking to other travelers it is obvious that there is a lot more to see and do if you travel to Rwanda, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Mozambique, and Uganda. Maybe next time !!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.297s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb