Grasshoppers and the flea market


Advertisement
Africa
March 2nd 2008
Published: March 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had another trip out on Saturday to Krakka Kama which I had already booked. This time Robin and I went round the monkey walk and managed to see the three young cheetahs snuggled up together under a tree. It was hard to count them as they were so well camouflaged but we kept seeing bits of them. They were too far away to take a picture. We only spotted them because we were trying to identify a bird with the binoculars. It was a Southern Boubou we decided later. We also saw some pyrgomorphid grasshoppers mating and I did manage to get a photo. They are beautiful rainbow colours. The tour driver had a book hence the accuracy of identification. I have not suddenly become an authority.

It has been really hot this weekend, over 30, so we have had some time on the beach. I am still enjoying the body surfing. The others prefer a jump over the waves on the edge as they look a bit fearsome but it is a family beach and does not shelve deeply. There are proper surfers and boogie boarders. I decided I couldn't face carrying the board back to the hotel in the heat and it is a lovely beach to walk along. There is always a wind so we all walk right to the end of the beach after our swim.

Today it is the flea market which stretches all along the boardwalk so we ambled along and spent what we had brought with us on this and that. I have bought a rather primitive painting of the townships which incorporated bits of tin can and is three dimensional which I couldn't resist. The stall holder, Frances who did have great dreadlocks, had his paintings which were much larger on display somewhere in an art shop in Southampton. The painting I bought was done by his friend. You do haggle in the flea market but less than in India. It is just a little haggling round the edges. The ATM system is temperamental so I am having to be a bit careful. It looks like our flight back is going to be messed up and we will have a long wait now at Jo'burg so we are trying to organise a tour round. We can pay about 80 p and get our luggage wrapped at PE and sent straight through so we do not have to pick it up until Gatwick.

Of course, we were in the sea again today. It probably sounds like this is all holiday. In between activities we are planning for our weeks work and sharing resources and ideas. We made another trip to the stationery shop for more supplies. The level of English is lower than we had all anticipated. This is due the second language as the children have the same ranges of ability as we are all used to. It is great having other volunteers in other schools and working with different children. I will see tomorrow how much difference having the slightly older shildren will make. I do not think they are much further on with English but I haven't met them yet. We are now going to be dropped of first tomorrow so that we can be there for their assembly which I have not managed yet. Religion is very embedded in the culture, so the assembly is quite an important part of the day. It is also bound to be musical.

More soon








Advertisement



3rd March 2008

great reading
Hi Sue, It's great reading your blog and getting the tiniest slice of all that you are seeing, hearing and experiencing! I am so glad that you are enjoying it all so much. Will you find it very hard to leave it, I wonder? I am envious of it all, not least the body surfing! x Rose

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb