Red Location Rhinos and Male voices


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Port Elizabeth
February 29th 2008
Published: February 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

School finished early today as it is the day of the big clean. There ae no cleaners so the children clean the school. The siting of our school with no real roads means that it gets very dusty as it is dry and arid and the earest vegetation is bush. You can see hills in the distance but there is very little green. The school have planted trees but they are new and struggle. Most of the shacks have little space although there are a few attempts to grow vegetables,

The Red Location Museum was wonderful. New Brighton or the Red Location was a very early township and was a prominent area during the struggles as people were already organised. It was called Red because the shacks rusted so someone thought of red oxide paint. The museum is new and the exhibits are chosen by the local comunity and honour people they consider significant. It is quite striking to look at and was built with Swedish support. It also has a whole section on HIV with some moving words and creative work.

We were whisked off (kidnapped) by our deputy head who is a feisty woman and went to a local game park where there were rhinos right alongsid our vehicle and giraffe but no monkeys on the monkey walk. I had already booked a trip for Saturday so hope to see more then. In the evening alocal historian came to the hotel and it all fitted together so it was a fascinating day. I had done some sessions with the children first in case you think it is all fun.

Yesterday was a long day as one of the volounteers at my school was leaving and "they know how to have a party" at Jo Slovo. It was quite an occasion with prayers and the choir and speeches etc and inevitable food. It was really hot and I was wilting so I raced to join Lesley and Robin on the beach and cool off. The entertainment in the evening was a group of young men who sang what I think I would call African folk songs. They told us the story before each song and there was much performance along with it - dancing and pantomiming the song. It was great fun and it is a pity they can't perform at the folk club. Some might manage to sing along!

I should have mentioned that the school choir sang at the celebration and all of a suddent one of the boys with a gravelly voice like Louis Armstrong started wht sounded like a diatribe to the leaver with rather fierce gestures and a face like thunder. Apparently he is an official praise singer which is a tribal role. It looked a bit intimidating but very impressive.


It is another hot day but i thought I would sneak up here quickly as I always take longer.

This was my last day with year 2 and I have just started to get to know my three little groups of six so I shall miss them next week when I start to work with year 3. It is quite a challenge working with them when they do not technically speak English. They do have a few words and I am communicating using simpler vocabulary ( pigeon English sometimes) They quickly learn some words. Someone anongst the volunteers thought they had worked out the word for Be Quiet as VOO.. Two of us tried it and met blank faces then hysterical giggles. It doesn't mean anything so Zip with an appropriate gesture works well.
I have had two days when we said no Xhosa once they come in. It sort of works except when they want to have a private giggle. They have learned quite a few words and some are already reading.

The teachers want me to try the same sort of thing with year three. Starting school is a bit patchy and so is previous experience so we have learned that the years do not mean much. It is very much playing things by ear. The schools have a huge job to do.


I will probably come up later with the others. Apologies for lack of individual responses. If I have left anyone out who is interested just give them Tom's link.

I am half way through which seems amazing.

More Soon
Love to all

Love Sue

Advertisement



29th February 2008

rhinos!
Glad you are enjoying yourself as well as working.Rhinos can tip a landrover over, so be careful! The children in Africa always seem so eager to learn, heartens one used to the disinterest here. Keep blogging, H
1st March 2008

Sounds Wonderful
It is great to read your blogs which sound so immediate and a view into another world not so far away. It will be great to see the photos on your return. Look after yourself.

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0449s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb