Choirs and township walkabout


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Eastern Cape » Port Elizabeth
February 26th 2008
Published: February 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi again

Apologies for spelling mistakes in last entry No time for editing.

I for got to tell you we saw ostriches and they had 3 chicks and lots of wart hogs at Addo. Did you know tha males havge two warts and females one! I did rather fancy one for my next pet. They trot along nicley and I thought they would go well on the common.

In the evening the hotel choir sang led by Margaret one of the cleaners who gae a a vey emotinal introduction about the support her some had at school from the Trust and also the importance of having a job. I heard today that only 15% people on on our township have a job. The singing was beautiful again, particularly Gladys the waitress who had not had time to change and came in her uniform The others were in traditional dress.

The children are keeping me on my toes. They are eager to learn and have great amuseemtn at my attempts to pronounce the names which have clicks, particularly when the are in the middle. Luxolo is my downfall and he has a delightful grin with half grown front teeth.

Weather seems hot midday when we are working and a bit wild and windy when we get home Last night we walked on the beach and we watche winkles or a similar gastropod waliking up the beach in lines - it made me think of the Lobster quadrille. There were sudden clusters and we discovered it was sections of jelly fish that they feasted on. We were als remarkably lucky and saw a small turtle the size of a saucer which is apparently unusual - Robin and I did a little dance on the beach for excitement.

We also had a good bop in the bar in the evening when Cedric was playing 60's songs and singing to his guitar. We showed our age and sang along lustily with the other female volunteers - all being from the same era. The one accompanying husband had run off to bed to escape.

Today our school organised a township walkabout for us with some of the older children and we were invited inside some homes. Unfortunately my camera threw a wobbly
but marina will send me some copies of hers. I think it was probably operator error or dodgy batteries as it is alright again now. The scap metal outside of the shacks hid an immaculate small interior with large TV - no visible books but one sewing machine and the mother showed us her work - not for sale but for her family. It ws extremely hot and some of the teachers were smart and had umbrellas as sunshades as they do in India. Progress was slow and stately as they mostly don't do speed here once they become adults

The teachers are taking the volunteers in my school ( Jo Slovo) to visit the Red Museum in one of the townships which is the Museum of the Independence struggle. I am really pleased as it is not one that we would have found easy to get to.


Sorry less voluble friends finished and the do not recommend walking about on your own even here,

Love getting comments and messages Sorry for lack of individual response.

Love to all


Advertisement



26th February 2008

Helping out the school
Hey = the crab "things" , wart hogs, ostriches etc sound sound wonderful - what an experience as do the children with the click names! got an email back from Andie in Chatham, 2nd gr teacher, is there anyway to connect with the classroom - could her class send anything over for your students or community? Would you ever want to go back to a boring job after this!!

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb