Swazi


Advertisement
Africa
April 21st 2007
Published: April 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Swaziland Swaziland Swaziland

Green, very very green
After our Safari we headed to a town called Nelspruit with all of the same people. Had a Braai (thats a BBQ for us) which are very popular out here.

Next day we started our Baz Bus ticket to Cape Town, this is a simple hop on hop off bus network in SA. No frills just A 2 B.

First stop for us was the Royal Kingdom of Swaziland. A landlocked country in the North of South Africa, it's a really nice place with rolling hills and valleys with friendly locals, there is no history of apartheid here and there is a different feel to the place, although parts of the country are very poor. The Swazi King gets to choose a new wife every year to go with those he already has , he currently has 12, no one could decide if this is a good or a bad thing!

Stayed at Swaziland Backpackers in the Malkerns Valley which was ok... nice place but a bit chaotic, massive electrical storm on the first night knocked out the power until the next day and there was rain like you would never believe. This was mid way though
More GreennessMore GreennessMore Greenness

Claire, surveying the Kingdom
a house party but not to be deterred things continued , not a good night for our planned early night and we got zilch kip.

In Swaziland transport is almost exclusively by mini-van, basically just a small white mini bus filled with seats and interesting people. These things always play music and they are cheap to get around.

Headed to the local town to stock up on more Braai materials and spent a few days n nights at the hostel. Went on a few walks upto the top of the nearby hills to watch the sunset (again) and indulge in Sundowners. Sundowners is a south african tradition of drinking while watching the sunset. Just an excuse really, as if you need one anyway.

Watched a few football games at the local bar with Claire and a Swiss guy called Patrik we met on Safari. Nice to see some sport for a change!

In other news we had some money stolen from our room, Doh!! Not much and no idea who took it, life goes on etc. Its the first thing thats been taken so in some ways we were pretty lucky.




Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Another SunsetAnother Sunset
Another Sunset

Enough sundowners and you see two Suns!


6th May 2007

What a sunset, just like over Morecambe bay!! dad

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0781s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb