Zimbabwe and the Inflation


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe
March 18th 2013
Published: March 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Zimbabwe has been in steady economic decline for almost eight years. It used to a bread basket until the government took the farms away from the commercial companies. This is what sent the countries economy into free fall. The government then inturn started to print money as fast as it could leading to a monthly inflation rate over 1200 percent. quickly even thousands of dollars could only buy a couple of eggs. People are often forced to spend their entire paycheck on bus tickets just to get to and from their job. The situation with the farms has not improved at all either. The govenmrnt sells gas to farmers at low rates and they in turn sell it on the black market for a profit, instead of actually growing any food, leading to not only economic trouble but hunger problems as well. All of this has lead to 3 million people out of 13 million people leaving the country, mostly those who had the money to do so. The hope is that in coming elections the people will chose a new president and start on the raod to a better country.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0488s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb