Sierra Leone


Advertisement
Sierra Leone's flag
Africa » Sierra Leone » Moa River
March 26th 2013
Published: March 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The two groups involved in the civil war is the government of Sierra Leone and the rebel group RUF. It does seem at first that the government is weak and not able to stop the rebels to give the people a safe country. But the reason the rebels are able to keep up the fighting is all the funding they get from these huge diamond companies by selling conflict diamonds. The rebels loot villages and enslave workers to work in the rivers, they then give diamonds to people like Danny Archer who smuggle them out of the country to one that can sell diamonds. The corporations then buy the diamonds and give the money to the rebel groups allowing them to buy weapons and keep up the rebellion. They are able to have weapons just as efficient as the government and also take child soldiers who can be brain washed into fighting for the cause. The weakness of the government does have a lot to do with civil war but it would have been quickly over for the rebels if they did not get so much funding from the corporations. Making them equally responsible for the blood shed in the country.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0773s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb