A Great Dinner


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe » Victoria Falls
October 9th 2011
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Us01 Us01 Us

Paul and I near our tent, early in the morning before the rugby game.
Geo: -17.93, 25.84

I was woken up early this morning as the others were watching an early game of rugby at the bar. It was the Rugby World Cup, Australia were playing against South Africa. I wasn't interested in watching it, but went along. This was my chance to wear my new rugby shirt that Paul brought for me- I don't think I will ever wear it again. In between watching the television and trying to act interested, I kept an eye out for animals approaching the waterhole.

In the end Australia won the rugby world cup, I did enjoy rubbing it in Paul's face that they won. We had breakfast at the lodge and then packed up our tents. There was another long day of driving ahead of us today. We left at 9:30am in the direction of Kazangula border post. The road was pretty bad and full of potholes. Paul was a bit sulky because of his team's loss, I did find this amusing.

Again we were stopped at a check point that was looking for meat. Luckily we were passed through without them checking our vehicle. Along the way we saw the following animals in the wild – Ground
02 In Flight02 In Flight02 In Flight

A Ground Hornbill that flew away when we slowed down to see it.
Hornbill, an ugly eland, ostriches, roan, various birds, warthogs, steenboks, giraffe, impala, waterbuck and many breeding herds of elephants.

We stopped in Kasane to take pictures of a really huge baobab tree. In this town there were elephants all over the place. People here were living amongst wild elephants.

Travelling through the Kazangula border post was a little slow and frustrating. I was able to buy my visa at the border with little issue. Just after 2pm we entered Zimbabwe. We saw many animals on the short drive to Victoria Falls- Ground Hornbills, elephants, baboons and monkeys.

We drove through the town and continued to the Victoria Safari Lodge. Here we sat on the deck, enjoyed a few drinks and a late light lunch. The guys also had a swim. As we relaxed here, we had a great view of the waterhole. At the waterhole baboons came to drink and a variety of birds. On the way out in the car park, we stopped to watch a couple of warthogs that were busy eating grass. A couple of hours later we checked into our accommodation for the night - Shoestrings Backpackers. This place was also recommended to us by friends.

After
03 Young One03 Young One03 Young One

A young elephant near Kasane.
a quick freshen up and springbok shooter or two at the bar, we went out for dinner. Destination was The Boma Restaurant; this place was a real tourist attraction and a full, fun night out. As we entered, we were given a colourful piece of fabric to tie around us. The restaurant was full mostly with tour buses. The service was amazing. After the fabric, the waiter came around with water for us to wash our hands and then gave us some traditional beer. As we tried to drink the beer, we ate some snacks that they brought to us. Then the drumming started. Dancers were dressed in traditional clothing, beating drums as they sang and danced. It was very entertaining. We were starving by now, but no food yet besides those snacks.

I saw other tables being served soup- food was on its way! Then an older man came to us and tried to sell us a drink that sounded delicious – honey, vodka, cinnamon and lemon. What the hell we thought, as we each bought a drink from him. Then our delicious butternut soup arrived – served in a tiny potjie pot. We quickly ate our soup as
04 Elephants04 Elephants04 Elephants

Elephants that we saw by the main road.
we wanted to hit the buffet. There was such a huge selection of food, even for me as a vegetarian.

The others tried unusual meats such as impala, warthog, ostrich, guinea fowl, eland and others. It was a buffet –so we ate way too much. Once we were finished with our main course, we had a break from eating. The waiters brought drums to everyone. The entertainers then taught us how to drum along. It was really fun to do interactive drumming.

Paul warned me that there was something that I had to try tonight. I was hoping that he had forgotten, but no luck. It was a mopane worm – a local delicacy. They did not look appealing at all. It was all dried up. I did try it, just to shut everyone up. it was awful, dry, crunchy and something I would not recommend!

We then managed to try some desserts. Then it was time to head back to the backpackers. We spent some time having a few drinks at the bar before going to bed.





Additional photos below
Photos: 53, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

05 Elephants05 Elephants
05 Elephants

More elephants by the side of the main road.
06 Giraffe06 Giraffe
06 Giraffe

One of the other animals we saw by the main road.
07 Baobab07 Baobab
07 Baobab

The large baobab tree in Kasane.
08 Me08 Me
08 Me

I am standing in front of the large tree.
09 Welcome09 Welcome
09 Welcome

A sign welcoming us to Zimbabwe.
10 Baboons10 Baboons
10 Baboons

Part of a troop of baboons we saw by the main road.
11 Wild Dogs11 Wild Dogs
11 Wild Dogs

A sign warning us that we could see wild dogs on the road.
12 View from Deck12 View from Deck
12 View from Deck

The view of the waterhole from the Safari Lodge deck.
13 View from Deck13 View from Deck
13 View from Deck

The view of the waterhole from the Safari Lodge deck.
14 Us14 Us
14 Us

The four of us enjoying a drink on the deck.
15 Us15 Us
15 Us

Paul and I enjoying our drinks in the afternoon sun.
16 Lite Lunch16 Lite Lunch
16 Lite Lunch

My lite lunch that I shared with Paul - because we were having a big dinner tonight.
17 Baboons17 Baboons
17 Baboons

Baboons at the waterhole.
18 Storks18 Storks
18 Storks

Marabou Storks by the water's edge.
19 Mongoose19 Mongoose
19 Mongoose

This mongoose was walking below the deck.
20 Local Brew20 Local Brew
20 Local Brew

The local brew - Zambezi, which Paul enjoyed this afternoon.
21 Warthogs21 Warthogs
21 Warthogs

I am standing with some warthogs in the carpark at the Safari Lodge.


Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1166s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb