Bush Cricket


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe
October 10th 2011
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Nests01 Nests01 Nests

Bird nests at the end of the branches.
Geo: -19.1504, 26.5759

After a long boring drive, at about 2pm we turned off the main road and were getting close to the national park. The park is only partly fenced, so there is a chance of spotting animals. I was on the lookout. It took a long time for us to find any animals –which was a bit disheartening. We stopped along the way to stretch our legs. There were two piles of bones. Neil and Paul identified them as giraffe bones. They think that two giraffes were fighting and they both died here, a metre or so apart from each other. The guys found a good use for the bones- a game of cricket. This entertained them for about ten minutes.

In the hour and a half drive from the main road to the entrance of the park, we only saw 2 giraffe, kudu, sable, baboons, impalas and a few birds. The road was pretty bad, so it was slow driving. The impalas were skittish; I really hope that the other animals are not skittish. We were spending the rest of our trip here in Hwange National Park. This park was established in 1928.

We entered the park through the
02 Looking Around02 Looking Around02 Looking Around

A baboon looking around.
Robin's Camp entrance. My first impression of the park is that it looked very dry. This campsite was very basic. There were no shops here. About half an hour later we arrived at the camp site. Here we met our friend Tony and Nicola. They had told us about this national park and the game count – they are the reason we are here!

We set up our tents. This campsite was fenced, but it was a very simple fence, not very strong looking. From here we could see impalas and warthogs on the other side of the fence.
There was a meeting at 6:30pm. It was a briefing that gave us all the information we would need for the 24 hour game count. There were about 30 vehicles in the campsite, all here for the count. We were put into teams of 4 – Neil, Claudine, Paul and I were a team. They gave us a map and told us where we were to sit for 24 hours to count the animals that we saw.

After the briefing, they provided dinner. We had an early night. I got into bed with an Amarula and read my magazine for
03 Walking Away03 Walking Away03 Walking Away

The baboon had enough of us looking at him and he walked away.
a while. During the night we could hear hyenas making their 'whoop, whoop' sound.






Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

04 Scenery04 Scenery
04 Scenery

The very dry bush of Hwange National Park.
05 Scenery05 Scenery
05 Scenery

More of the dry bush we saw as we drove towards Robins Camp.
06 Dead06 Dead
06 Dead

A dead tree.
07 Off they Go07 Off they Go
07 Off they Go

A harem of impalas running away from us as we drove.
08 Choosing 08 Choosing
08 Choosing

Paul is choosing the best giraffe bone to play bush cricket.
09 'That One'09 'That One'
09 'That One'

Neil pointing to a bone.
10 Ready10 Ready
10 Ready

Paul ready for Neil to bowl him the bone 'ball'.
11 About to Hit11 About to Hit
11 About to Hit

Paul is just about to hit the bone.
12 He Hits It!12 He Hits It!
12 He Hits It!

The bone flew through the air.
13 Next Batter Up13 Next Batter Up
13 Next Batter Up

Neil preparing to bat.
14 Big Swing14 Big Swing
14 Big Swing

Neil swings back just before hitting the bone.
15 Game Over15 Game Over
15 Game Over

Paul won because Neil broke the 'bat'!
16 Entrance 16 Entrance
16 Entrance

Neil and Claudine entering Hwange National Park.
17 Flower17 Flower
17 Flower

A nice flower at the entrance of the national park.
18 A Lot of Nothing18 A Lot of Nothing
18 A Lot of Nothing

This is the road to Robin's Camp.
19 Water19 Water
19 Water

A small waterhole.


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb