Victoria Falls, Crocodile meat and Elephant hair


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe » Victoria Falls
November 7th 2014
Published: November 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

After we arrived in Johannisburg, we had time to eat in a Casino on the premises. I had a slice of pizza and the beer was welcome,after being in transit for 29 hours.

That night it was sleepless. Not a night owl, I read ad read and read and read and read. Following day, we took off for Victoria Falls. Another flight and another hotel. After arriving, we quickly took an excursion to an orphanage with about 70 children. We brought candy and left a donation. Imagine these kids were left on the orphanages door step with no place to go. From babies to 14 years old. They do an amazing job without governement help. I felt fortunate to be there and see this. It reminds me about how lucky I am. We capped off the day and as well, visited a typical African home. Chickens in the yard, open air. We were served tea and given some info on the history of the region and what it means to live in a country that is poor with 96% unemployment. Survival is the under ground economy.

As we entered the lodge where we are staying we passed some Warthogs eating in the front. AS they eat they lean on there knees to get at the grass. No need for lawn mowers! The menu for supper was WARTHOGS!!!!!!!!! Well, not far from the grass to the pot! The meat was spicey and not tough. It tasted like BBQ. I also tried crocodile meat. It was a white meat. Tasty as well. Did I mention that we are in the wild and crocodles are on our shore!

Woke up to a thunder storm, thank goodness. It was hot. Monkeys out my window, Wart hogs, and birds chiming away. We climbed into the van with the group and headed off to Victoria Falls. As we arrived we were treated to an African singing group. The falls are a walk along route about 2kms long. On the way, we had look outs that had spectacular views of the Falls. The spray of the falls washed down on us in intervals along the trail. I had to wipe off the camera a number of times. I meandered off the trail occasionally hoping not to meet the wild life. I saw some deer and vultures in the air, as well as huge termite hills. In places it felt arid dry and other places felt very humid. A land of contrasts to be sure. Next on our schedule was the market. WELL, the experience was tiring. Everyone has something to sell you and as well want to trade you for your clothes. I am not kidding about that. I could have swapped my cap a dozen times as ell as my teeshirt. These people have no access to markets and no money. I picked up an alligator tooth pendant as well as an elephant hair bracelet. The wife picked up a small carved stone hippo. Very small. I ate a crocodile burger and fries for lunch. The wife ate a crocodile pasta. Oh. I forgot....... The wife was walking along a path and a 18" green deadly snake crossed her path and she jumped so high and into our guides arms. I tried to catch her and she slipped into him and he caught her instead. I guess I was not her knight in shining armor.
I wll be walking with Lions tomorrow morning WITHOUT PROTECTION.
No pictures. Internet access is spotty.

Advertisement



8th November 2014

Yikes!
Wow...A deadly snake! Too bad they didn't kill it. You guys could have had BB Q snake steak! That was a great blog. Can't wait to see pics. Be safe and don't forget to look up. :-)
8th November 2014

Yikes!
Wow...A deadly snake! Too bad they didn't kill it. You guys could have had BB Q snake steak! That was a great blog. Can't wait to see pics. Be safe and don't forget to look up. :-)

Tot: 0.361s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb