May 5th Lion Encounter, Horseback Safari and Vic Falls tour


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe » Victoria Falls
May 9th 2007
Published: May 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

May 5th Lion Encounter, Horseback Safari and Vic Falls tour

Up early in the morning we went out to the Lion Encounter. That was a pretty great experience. There was lots of posing for pictures and petting lions. One of the lions was going to pick the hat off of my head with his teeth. They video taped the whole encounter and show everybody afterward. The DVD’s cost $40 US to purchase. That’s a little steep for most people. After the Lions we went the Horseback Safari. That was the best horseback riding ever. The saddles were even comfortable. We rode right up beside warthogs and impalas and kudus and buffalo. We had to stay back from the elephants though. There’s something great about having no metal between you and the animals. We rode our horsed in the Zambezi. And we saw the Big Tree that they say Livingstone did business under. That was the marketplace of the tribal peoples of that day too. It was a really wide tree, not tall but wide. From riding we went over to walk and view Vic Falls. That is a truly amazing thing to see. Dakotah thought it was fun to see how soaked she could get and Lovemore and I couldn’t avoid it. It was like heavy rain at one point. The spray goes across the canyon, hits the wall and goes in all directions. We were standing on top of that wall. Kotah and Lovemore had fun splashing each other in the puddles. We hoped to dry off as we headed back to the car. Nope, we didn’t dry off. Lovemore dropped us off at some shops for a while he had to go get something. We were cold and wet and couldn’t stand out in the sun because of all the people that come up and try and sell you things or beg for money. We were thankful to get back to the cottage to change into dry clothes.

Between the lions and the horseback riding. Lovemore and I visited a travel agent to talk about Visas for Zambia. They told us that the Visa for a Canadian to go into Zambia is $80 US each. There is a Transit visa but it is the same price. That was crazy expensive as I am paying for two. So we enquired about other options. They said you can
More lionsMore lionsMore lions

Look that Lion is about to take the sunglasses off my head with his teeth
drive through Botswana and enter into Namibia at the closest point then catch the bus at Katima Mulilo instead of getting on in Livingstone. I asked the lady there to check if it is possible to change the tickets then she got on the phone and changed the tickets, before we had time to think about the options. Then while we were at horseback riding Lovemore was working out the logistics of taking us through Botswana to Katima Mulilo. It would cost about $130 US extra for me when you include fuel, insurance fees for crossing borders, and his time, although he was more interested in our safety and delivering us than his time. In hindsight I should have stopped that agent from changing the tickets. I really just wanted her to find out if it were possible so we could examine our options, not to change it.

Anyway we had a really great day and a great dinner at the famous Boma Restaurant where you can eat impala, wild boar, and other wild animals we didn’t recognize the names of. We had crocodile and ostrich for an appetizer. We also tried the Mapani worms, fried and seasoned. There
The Dung BeetleThe Dung BeetleThe Dung Beetle

Our guide got nervous here cause we were taking a picture inside of the Border area.
were traditional dancers and singers. The music was a bit different than the music we heard in Bulawayo. After dinner they had a drumming show. Everyone got their own drum and the presenter got everyone to play. It was really neat how that worked. We got back to the room really late due to a miscommunication. So there I was packing all of our stuff tight so thinking that we would be walking across the border into Namibia with all of our luggage. I finally went to bed at midnight, after rearranging our clothes in hopes that they would dry before our 7am start.




Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Elehpant Crossing!Elehpant Crossing!
Elehpant Crossing!

This became a common occurance in Vic Falls and Botswana
Our Tent Our Tent
Our Tent

there was a flush toilet and shower attached to this "tent"
one Big Elephantone Big Elephant
one Big Elephant

This guy decided to coem check us out instead of going to the water hole
WarthogsWarthogs
Warthogs

I thought horses would be a fraid of worthogs. Nope
The Great ZambiezieThe Great Zambiezie
The Great Zambiezie

We walked our hourses through there for them to cool off. It was scary.
there's an elephant in the backgroundthere's an elephant in the background
there's an elephant in the background

the guide wasnt very good with photographs


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0563s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb