Exploring Victoria falls


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe » Victoria Falls
December 17th 2017
Published: December 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Victoria falls was nothing like I expected! After weeks of rural Africa we were suddenly in a bustling town with western style restaurants and cafes. I think we were all excited at the prospect of different food, especially when we realised they have good cheese!! After being herded in to the activity centre to book adrenaline filled activities for the coming days we headed off in search of food and shopping! Walking around town we saw a sign for a brewery, and were drawn towards it! Luckily they did food too, so it was a unanimous decision to stay there. The brewery is called the river brewery, and is only 5 weeks old. They brew 6 of their own beers on site, as well as offering platters of food. I opted for the veggie platter and I was very impressed when it came out! It was an amazing selection of raw veggies, with a local been humus and cheeses, topped off with focaccia. I liked it so much I was back the next night for another one!
After filling up on food we had enough energy for shopping! The markets here are more intense than elsewhere that we've been, with the sellers seeming more desperate. They drive a hard bargain too, starting way too high and requiring persistence to get them down to a reasonable price. I managed to get a couple of bits, for good prices, so I was happy.
The next day was a relaxing morning, followed by a helicopter ride over the falls! The flight was only 15mins long, although this seemed like a long time when we were up there. We managed to get 3 passes of the falls on each side of the helicopter, so we all got a great view. You could see where the falls would be flowing so much more in rainy season too, although as the flow is less there is not much spray, allowing for a better view.
We followed the helicopter flight by a visit to the falls lookout cafe, which has very cheap drinks and a great view!
The next morning it was off to the official falls viewpoints. I wasn't sure this would be worth $30 having already seen the falls from the air, but it definitely was! There are 15 viewpoints situated around the falls, each with a distinctly different view of the various little falls that make up Victoria falls. This took 2hrs in total to enjoy all the lookouts.
This marked the end of the first part of the trip, and goodbyes to a lot of the people I've been travelling with. Now it's time to continue to the second part of the trip, down to cape town.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0159s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb