Wild Geese Lodge, Harare


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe » Harare
June 1st 2009
Published: June 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

We were here to visit a friend’s wedding. Stayed for 2 days at the lodge.
The Resort:
All accommodations are cottages and are spread through out the pristinely kept grounds. The total resort area covers about 2 city blocks and has winding paths that meander around the area presenting stunning views of the game reserve below the hill. The game reserve has many types of antelope and several paths that take the hiker down to a little dam and back again. I think the entire loop is about 10km. The whole area is situated outside of Harare (capital city) and away from the hustle and bustle of city life. The main goal here is to relax and recharge. If your looking for loud crowded night life - this is not for you. The entire resort is walled off and there is guarded 24hrs. Parking is just inside the gate and secure. The traveler enters the resort through the main lodge. This huge thatched roof building is distinctly African in its décor and is the focal point of activity for the resort. The lodge has the bar, restaurant, veranda and reception offices. Radiating from there are the private cottages where the guest stays - sprinkled through out the woods. The grounds are constantly being gardened by a small army of workers to keep it in a gorgeous state.
The Cottages:
Ours was a double bed by the pool and a short walk to the main lodge. The building is also thatched to give it its African appeal. The décor in the room was very classy and also very African. The room provided bottled water (city water is not safe to drink), mosquito coil, TV (South African satellite TV), and bathroom soaps and shampoos etc. The bed was very comfortable and we slept like the dead. They also provide a mini safe in every cottage to store valuables while out and about. The bath room was kept very clean (cleaned daily) and have separate shower and tub. The minor snag was our hot water heater was giving us some problems, but the resort sent some one to fix it minutes after we told them. The cottages are really huge inside and outside each one have a porch with chairs and a table - more ways to help you relax.
The Restaurant/Bar:
They only served food at set times, so when you are in your room you must consult the info packet. The menu was some what limited - they had a daily specialty without many choices, however the food was really good. I did notice that they accommodated special diets if you need to have one. Service is equivalent to western European standards - not too bad - but could be improved (this is only the restaurant - not the lodge staff or maid service).
Other Stuff:
This resort caters to special events and conferences a lot (most of their business because Zimbabwe tourism has suffered from politics). They are extremely efficient with their event planning and very professional. The wedding was beautifully done and went very smooth - which is a testament to the staff. We also had the privilege of being there for their Easter Brunch. About 200 people came to the resort for this huge lunch event. There was live music, great food and plenty of alcohol for everyone. This resort has been doing extremely well despite the tough times in Zimbabwe.
On another note, Zimbabwe is not the conflict riddled country the media likes to talk about. Yes there are problems, but since the $US is the official currency, the economy has settled down significantly and we felt very safe throughout our travels in Zimbabwe.

Overall the Wild Geese resort was a refreshing and beautiful place to visit and we recommend it to anyone who is looking for a little serenity in southern Africa.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0716s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb