back in Bulawayo - nice


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe » Bulawayo
May 16th 2003
Published: May 16th 2003
Edit Blog Post

We left Gweru for Bulawayo the next day. The bus station in Gweru was great - and it looked like you could get everything the lodge told us was unavailable right now because of the political situation in Zimbabwe - bread, gas etc. I wonder if it was illegal to buy bread on the black market? We caught a very loud bus back to Bulawyo - loud because of the local music blaring out of the home speakers installed at the front of the bus. The bus got us 90% of the way to Bulawayo before stopping seemingly because it had run out of gas. Luckily another bus stopped right away and picked up the Bulawayo-bound passengers. What happened to the people travelling further than Bulawayo on the bus I don't know - we left them in the dust. On the new bus we stood along the center and ducked as instructed when going through any police checkpoints - about three which was pretty funny. The isle was very packed so it meant sitting on the person behind.
In Bulawayo we tried to jump right on a sleeper train to Victoria Falls but the train was full so we got a ticket for the next day. I'm glad that happened because Bulawayo was a cool city. We had a great lunch there and walked around the town a little while the locals asked us if we had any foreign money to sell them since their own currency wasn't holding up too well. Very nice city though.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb