White Rhino


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe » Bulawayo
June 25th 2007
Published: June 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, here we are back in a country with no power cuts so we can use internet again. Zimbabwe had many power problems and we've spent the past week having cold showers and early nights......

The Kumuka Tour started with 2 days at the Vic Falls which seemed to drag as we had pretty much seen all we wanted in the 1st week. We did do a sunset cruise on teh upper zambezi though which was pretty cool. Only saw a few hippos and a croc but the sunset was spectacular. Also paid another visit to the markets for last minute bargaining, and just so happened to bump into another traveller from good ol' T/A.

There is only 5 of us on the trip plus 2 crew - Mick & Deb and Alex (from Auzzie), and Kenny & Johannes (crew). The tour wouldn't normally run with less than 8 people but the other 3 started in South Africa so they had to finish the route and the truck had to get to Nairobi for the next tour! So we are very lucky to have plenty of room on the truck on travel days, and it doesn't take too long to eat or clean up.

Bulawayo was our destination to visit the Matobos National Park -the place to find the white rhino. There used to be plenty but due to poaching over the years the estimated number left in this 44000 ha park is 40. Yep...dats all. We spent pretty much all day driving round trying to locate them with our professional guide, but only seemed to find "evidence".... footprints and dung. Just as we were going to end the day without success we insisted on one more driveby their favourite grazing spot. Fortunately Manda had her eyes up coz we drove straight past a couple but quickly hit the brakes. We got to observe a mature female with her older son and a still suckling daughter grazing. It was amazing to get within 5 metres of them and spent about 1/2 hour marvelling at the sight. The guide estimated the adult to weigh aprox 2 tonne.....and yes we were on foot as we stalked them.

As part of the trip we also visited a cave and rock formations that were inhabited by the bushmen before settlors arrived. Paintings were on the cave wall, and wood and food silos still sitting as they did hundreds of years ago.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Sign at Park entranceSign at Park entrance
Sign at Park entrance

They are serious -we saw two rangers out patrolling with rifles!!!
GiraffeGiraffe
Giraffe

We spotted three Giraffe just as we were leaving the park.
Rock formationsRock formations
Rock formations

The park was riddled with rocks like this. This one is known as the mother and child (use your imagination)


25th June 2007

Spot the rhino
Perhaps a name more appropriate to a dingo or hyena than a large tank-shaped animal with a horn... Looks like you guys are having a great time though, glad you didn't get shot while stalking "Spot" and his mates ;)
28th June 2007

Amazing Photos!!
Looks and sounds like you are having the most amazing time :0)

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb