Thembelihle


Advertisement
Zimbabwe's flag
Africa » Zimbabwe » Bulawayo
April 10th 2007
Published: April 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

No fruit …Nope not much for fruit here. It’s expensive. Had an Avocado sandwich for lunch yesterday picked off the tree in the yard here.

Shelly we love you too. So much and you know I would give you a giant hug. Deed, thanks for the comments. That is encouraging and Dakotah IS doing great. She went swimming yesterday in Jenni’s Brother’s pool. It was cold from all the rain. Uncle Barry and Aunt Bernadette we love you and yes a Canadian Tire would be nice. Angie, we love you too. Thanks everyone for your comments.

Today we visited an aids care facility called Thembelihle. There were not very many patients there today, three men and five women. This facility is mostly funded by charitable organizations. The fees that families need to pay are $1000 Zim dollars for admittance and $100 dollars a day. That’s less than the cost of a chocolate bar each week.

Barbara, A mother of three, has aids and is in this facility. She is one of the lucky ones as when we were there she had her mother and friends visiting her. She told me she has three daughters, the youngest is 1 ½ years old. The lady next to her has dementia. She has been in the facility for two years and her family never visits. They go there and pay the bill at the office on the facility grounds and leave without going to see her. And Agatha, 39 years old, has five children, she couldn’t talk very loud. She had pains in her chest. Pastor T and I prayed for her and I gave her the Bead bracelet that Sandra gave me and read parts of the little booklet. I left the booklet with her so she can read it over again. I gave a bracelet to Barbara as well but I had to read the whole booklet to her as she has gone blind. I prayed that Barbara feels the comforting arms of God around her and that she might shine God’s light on all of the people she encounters.

April 10, 2007 Museum of Natural (and un Natural) History

Dakotah has decided that she wants a fountain pen… We spent the morning walking around town searching for a fountain pen. Found one at a department store it was over $1,000,000 Zim and another $1,200,000 Zim for the ink. Needless to say we did not get the pen and continue looking. Can you imagine, a million dollars for a pen. During the search I found a school book that is a story in the Southern Ndebellie Language. This will be a neat souvenir to bring home.

We visited the Museum here in Bulawayo today. It was pretty neat to see all the exhibits they have here. We were planning a morning visit but the lights were out… The power in that part of the city was cut until about 1pm. We went to the museum at 1:30 expecting a behind the scenes tour. They have literally millions of exhibits behind the walls and we were supposed to get a tour of how they preserve and stuff the animals etcetera. But, we were informed that the whole behind the scenes area had just been fumigated so we were not able to go there. Instead we had a guided tour in the main museum. Nelson was very knowledgeable in explaining to us some of the details that are not written in the plaques. So we were able to see the largest natural history museum in Africa. It was good but we had to rush through a bit so we couldn’t read all the signs or examine things closely.

After the museum we got Pastor T’s presentation burned onto CD and continued home.


Advertisement



10th April 2007

love,you dakotah
tanking of you,gg, casey

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb