Tracking a Male Lion suprise


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia
August 10th 2014
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -12.8546, 31.311

Now that we have seen the wild dogs/painted wolves, what could make this morning drive even more adventuresome? James picks up the tracks of lions all over the road. He stops and shows us the tracks and sure enough, it does look like a lot of lion tracks.

He starts heading toward Lion Camp on the hunt. Side note: We had passed some other vehicles that were on the side of the road observing different wildlife and they fell in behind us and were taking advantage of James' expertise in guiding. Of course, we did this very thing while we were in Kruger!

Come around a corner and there are two lions lying on the ground. They are a large male and female and are getting ready to mate. Were still in the preliminary stages so they were still keeping an eye on us. There was a Norman Carr safari vehicle that was there when we came up on the lions and the man was videoing the lions. They had a scout in their vehicle along with the guide.

We watched the lions for quite a while as well as the couple in front of us taking "selfies" with the lions. I was content to take a picture with Juan Burrito bottle with the lions in the background. The lions got up every once in a while and then, the male lion stands up and steps toward the Carr vehicle and growls at the man videoing. Scout did not look too happy at that point!

We decided to leave them alone and started to head back. We had moved from our original place to get a different angle on the lions and a truck came past us going fairly fast and almost missed the lions!

Late again back to the camp but was not a problem. Fixed our lunch and also our dinner for our return from the night drive.



Additional photos below
Photos: 70, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0725s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb