Laura's sees Goliath on Her Brthday


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Northern
September 10th 2013
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -12.895, 31.9228

Wow! Great birthday in Africa. I had celebrated my birthday in Africa many years ago but this was the first time in many years that we were here for my birthday. I think I would prefer to be here for Robert's birthday because it is much cooler in June than it is in September.

Word had gotten out that it was my birthday and so the workers, guides, everyone was wishing me a happy birthday. I really did feel quite special.

The animals were also cooperating. The first thing I saw getting out of the tent was a group of elephants crossing the river and then a Golaith heron walking down the riverbank. Robert had gotten up and fixed the coffee that morning for by birthday.

The rest of the day was spent being quite lazy. The weather was cool and so did some relaxing in the tent and doing nothing!

We had arranged to go to Flatdogs for the evening with Retha and Conrad and meet Jess and Aiden. Unfortunately, Dilla, one of their dogs had managed to break his leg and Aiden had flown with the dog to Lusaka to have it taken care of.

We arrived at Flatdogs and wanted to walk through the old campsite area. The girl working the front desk came running out and told us we had to have a guard with us. While we were waiting up comes Jasmine who we had seen many a time at Flatdogs. Is that Robert and Laura? Said our hellos and then Levson, the watchman comes up and recognizes us and walks us around where our tree used to be. Sad news for us, the tree fell down and is being chopped up. Somehow the place does not look the same.

Back over to the campfire area and saw Kelway and he also recognized us. It was nice to be back but is not the same.

Over to the bar where Shade was working along with a new person. Ordered our dinner, and decided to sit outside where we had a very enjoyable dinner with Jess, Conrad and Retha. Many stories about life in the camp and some of the expectations of the guests. Had many a laugh about things. Both Ed and Paola came by and wished me a Happy Birthday. Then, here comes the kitchen crew with a lovely chocolate cake for my birthday. We all had some of that wonderfully decadent cake and then said our goodbyes and headed back to Wildlife Camp.

Evidently we had not had enough fun and went to the bar for another round or two. The Spanish overlanders were trying to spend the last of their kwacha as they were heading to Malawi the next day and so we had a great time talking with them.

Finally decided to call it an evening and off to bed but it had been a great birthday!!!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

our tree is gone!our tree is gone!
our tree is gone!

We camped with this tree providing shade for us the two years we camped at Flatdogs. It was so sad to see it gone and things looked so very different than when we last saw the camp


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb