life can be boring, even in Africa


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Lusaka
May 17th 2009
Published: May 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So...haven't written in a while because I haven't been doing anything very interesting. My life has become rather formulaic.

Erin and Scott (other volunteers at TTAF) are leaving so we had a going away party for them last night and today. Last night we went to a bar with a few of the guys we work with where they attempted to teach us to dance.

Even Erin, someone who is a very graceful and coordinated person by American standards, cannot do the dances. I hope to eventually get some good videos (its usually too dark to take videos) to show some Zambian dancing because it is impossible to describe. The important thing to realize though is that Zambia has a very strong musical culture, everyone can sing and EVERYONE can dance. They start learning these dances from a very young age so the people all have a general intuitive sense of rythym and movement that we can't even imagine.

I'm trying to set up a skype account but for some reason it won't accept my credit card? Not understanding...but if anyone has or gets skype my name is basselope2

Also! If you have skype and want to spend a little money calling me...my cell phone is +260796201401

So...in replacement for Scott and Erin, Zach and Dave arrived Friday. Zach spent the majority of dinner this evening attempting to teach our project manager how to shuffle which didn't lack for amusement (according to him all Americans are gamblers because they know how to shuffle?...okay).

I'm leaving to a refugee camp on the border of Congo on thursday but am currently stuck in the midst of a large amount of bureaucratic bullshit...hopefully it sorts itself out or I may get deported...yay! Some things are the same everywhere you go it seems...no interesting stories or pictures...sorry...just thought I'd say hi...

Andrea


Advertisement



18th May 2009

on boredom
i think you have managed to redefine boredom. if you're bored it is because you're not observing or creating enough drama. really, i am never bored probably because i am very self-involved

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0495s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb