Vamos a Livingstone y las Cascadas de Victoria!


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone
May 27th 2010
Published: June 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

May 27th

It was going to be a long day in the truck if we were to make it to Livingston by 5pm, so we all woke up around 7am to get our tents packed up and have breakfast. I actually woke up on time and was wiping the sleep from my eyes when Justin decided to give my tent an earthquake. Not the most pleasant of morning wake ups.

We jumped in the truck and headed south towards Livingstone. Across the Zambian flat lands we cruised. We whizzed by village after village listening to our favorite music and reading our novels, some of us (Maya) even managed to make necklaces while pot holes took their toll on the truck! We stopped at a couple villages and towns to pick up snacks or use the bathroom on the way to the south. Whenever we stop someone stays on the truck to watch the belongings while others use the bathroom or get snacks. Often times we are “hounded” (for lack of a better word) to buy things from local guys, bracelets, samosas, candy, cans of soda, bottles of water, etc. It really isn’t too much of a bother or annoyance, and sometimes we have a good conversation with them, (most of the time about football).

We made it to Livingstone and pulled into the Grotto around the expected time. We met Grubby, the owner of the Grotto. He’s a Kiwi guy (New Zealand) and his reputation precedes him. He’s a bit of an offensive guy, he swears a lot and can be a bit over the top, but after talkin with him for a while, I think it’s safe to say him and I get along. His story is pretty great, the short version: He’s been in Africa for 25 years, he started the first bungee jump in Victoria Falls, as well as the first river rafting company on the Zambezi in Livingstone. To say the least, he’s got many many stories!

So after chatting with Grubby for a while I got a bit of typing done for the blog and then headed for bed. Not the most spectacular of days, a lot of reading, sleeping, and gandering from the truck followed by sleep in the tent at the Grotto. I looked forward to the next day and my first bungee jump, along with one of the highlights of my trip, Victoria Falls.

Hope you like the photos! Until next time, Pura Vida!

-Brendan




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0312s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb