one week in!!!!


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone
September 23rd 2007
Published: September 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone!

so, survived our first week of teaching... My (Chris) class of 10 year olds are crazy - they get excited over a pen (especially if its 'clicky') and when we got stickers out all hell broke loose - they ended up eating them to get more?!! my class are cool tho and they cheer when i get off the bus in the morning!!! there are a few of kids who stand out more than the others - steven,trever,and charlie aka pitbull cause he thinks he is dead hard!!! i go back again tomoz so i hope the teacher is there - she only showed up once last week!!!!!

I (Laura) am teaching the oldest class (bout 14-22) and they are all really nice - much more well behaved than chris's! Theyve got exams coming up so just going over some tests (some of the questions i couldnt do which was interesting when my teacher wandered out for bout an hour and i had to mark their work!) Think im supposed to be teaching english next week but not really sure what theyre doing so should be fun!! Its alot more actual teaching than we thought - i think the teachers see us there and then think they are not needed so they just leave - also we were told they think coz we are white we are much better educated so sometimes feel embarrassed teaching in front of us.

In the afternoons, we do different projects like sports, art club, reading club, painting, building which all tend to end up with us playing games with the kids! (chris) i met a very interesting man called Pasteur who said he would take me and ma friend matt to church and didnt stop preaching for about an hour because of this we have asked to change schools for the sports coaching cause the kids there dont listen and just run wild!! fair play to him tho he does rebulid the school out of mud and sticks as it gets flooded and knocked down every year (even tho the toilet block is made from concrete?!)!!! Everyone here is really friendly tho and the kids are so grateful for us just spendng time with them - its really rewarding and we're loving it!

Havent done much this weekend - just lazed about in the sun (its really hot & getting hotter!) One of the houses has a pool so we are off there after this! Going out tonight for a meal & drinks as one of our housemates is going home tomorrow. We go to a bar called Rhapsodys which is really nice but quite strange to find in the middle of the town! Just a bit further down the road, there isnt much else & baboons stroll about over the road (which is really a dirt track with huge potholes)!!

So, thats the round up of our week - will update agin next weekend! Hope you are all well (and missing us lots!!) Lots of love xxx

Advertisement



23rd September 2007

Sounds Great !!
Hey You Guys !!! :) sounds brilliant, me and taya wet our selfs we you wrote about the kids loving the pens. Bet its scary for you laura teaching people that old, your both very brave and doing really well. City drew to fulham 3 -3 its was a really good game. we are 3rd in the league, the scum are above us now after beating chelsea today. Also jose mourinho has left chelsea this week. :) anyway everybody is great here, mum checks for your blog all the time :) Can't believe how much you have done all ready. Missing you loads Dan
27th September 2007

He - man.
Hey, hey, hey, just thought i'd drop u a line ________________ hope u both taking care of eachother, sounds like ur having a great time especially chillin with the lion cubs, still same old pooh here mate nowt special lol, gave riggers ur blog so she should be slammin a note on here too, carry on enjoying it, check u later :)

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb