Victoria Falls from the Zambian side...


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » Livingstone
October 26th 2021
Published: November 13th 2021
Edit Blog Post

After few amazing days in and around Chobe in Botswana...we are moving to Zambia. That's one more Covid test, and on my side, just the 5th one in less than two weeks. This is indeed the new world, better get used to it. We have transfered from Kasane to Livingstone. Interesting, it's exactly the same distance, around 100km, but the price of the private transfer is simply half of the one from Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe to Kasane.

I came to visit first the Victoria Falls 10 years ago. At the time, I flew into Livingstone and crossed the bridge to stay in Zimbabwe at the famous Victoria Falls hotel. Today, we are actually doing the opposite...as there is no great deal on the Zim side. So we are staying in the more basic Protea in the middle of Livingstone. Transfer was an easy affair...a mini-bus on each side of the border...nobody else than us at immigration. Pay your visa fee (no visa fee on the Botswana side), show your Covid free test...and you are in. Interesting point, the last positive test they had for tourists at the testing facility in Botswana was 2 months ago...obviously (or maybe not), somebody un-vaccinated!



There is not a lot to write about the hotel. Decent and clean...few locals in...and only 3 rooms occupied by tourists like us...we do have the place to ourselves. The rainy season is only due middle of November...that's few weeks from now. Meaning, the water level of the Zambezi is at the lowest of the year. This may not be the most impressive time to visit the Falls....but it was the best time to visit Chobe...you cannot have everything at once.



Ten years ago, I rafted the Zambezi. Trust me, I'm not sure it would be a great idea to do it with Tanya...I love her! So we went a step down, and a new experience for both of us...to the edge of the Falls...right into the Devil's Pool. Tanya only realized what it was really upon arrival on the little island. But she went the all way in and we had a great time. It was a very windy day...and the wind was pushing from the Zambezi River right into the crack of the Falls. This only brought in even more adrenaline. Enjoy the pictures. We have few truly fun videos about the experience, but they are not for here. And yes, here too it was very thin on the number of tourists. We shared the experience with two Colombians, that's it!



Ten years ago I play golf on the Zimbabwean side at Elephant Hills. Few days ago I play Kasane in Botswana...Livingstone Golf Club was next on the list. They have a 9 holes course, but nobody could tell me if they are open or not! So the only choice was to get there...we actually walk their first. Livingstone is pretty safe during the day, so a fun experience. Well...there is nine holes...the caddies are running the place. I could play, they loaned us a flag that we would put in for each hole. I did support the locals by having a caddy. Yes, it was a fun experience and a very very basic course. But I have to admit, this was actually more fun than the course I had to play for a year while we were living in the Seychelles. So yes, there is always worst!



Next transfer was back to the Victoria Falls Airport on the Zimbabwe side. We did cross the bridge on foot while the bags were following us in our taxi. This border crossing is a fun experience by itself. And that night we slept at home...no more border crossing for 2021....11 countries done for me, it's not that bad for 2021!



Next, another serious road trip at home...and I believe two or three more blogs to come with it!



Stay safe and I hope you too are back on the road!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb