Sonia is a Badass


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda
February 8th 2022
Published: February 8th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Sunday night was our version of the Superbowl when the final game of the AFCON (Africa Cup of Nations) was played. Egypt played Senegal for the championship. The game didn’t start until 10:00pm so we did not make it to the end of the game. But, we woke up to see Senegal won in penalty kicks 4 to 2.





We had our morning meeting with a new volunteer. She is from the area and wants some experience at a women’s empowerment organization before she applies for some positions with similar organizations around the region.



In the afternoon we met with the older women’s group and finished their SWOT and SMART goal presentations. There is one women, Sonia, in the group who I particularly like because she stands up for the other women and also stands up for herself in her household. She asked for her husband’s support in her cattle rearing business and when she didn’t receive it she still moved forward. Her hope is now to show him what she can achieve when she works hard. When one of the younger girls was too nervous to speak to the group she was the first to stand up in support of her. I really like her spirit, she is great to have in the group.



When one of the women did her SWOT presentation she said her biggest opportunity for her chicken business is what she is learning in our finance classes which was awesome to hear! She said she had never taken the time to evaluate her business because she didn’t know how to. She is now learning step by step how to analysis her business and improve it.



Another women said that her goal is to start a different business because this evaluation process has helped her understand that her business is not making her money and doesn’t have a good potential to change. While it was disappointing to hear she has an unprofitable business it was promising to hear that she has learned this and can now pivot to a business that will make her money.



I asked the women if there was a topic they would like to make sure I cover, but the answer from more than one was how to deal with their husbands. I had to laugh and tell them I am not sure that falls under finance even if the husbands are the biggest challenge to their savings plans.



In the evening Irene made some yummy dinner and we watch the Olympics. They were not familiar with many of the sports that were being played such are curling or cross country skiing. I also had to explain that ice hockey is played on ice hence the name.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb