Uganda


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Western Region » Lake Bunyonyi
June 14th 2009
Published: June 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Left for Uganda on 6-11. The boarder crossing was amazing. I never seen anything like it. The truck that we are traveling is very large and yellow and screams attention. Every time that we stop we are swarmed with people. The boarder was no different. You can buy fresh water, simosas (my new favorite African food), and you can also exchange your currency with men that are standing at the boarder crossing wearing yellow coats. They looked like stock exchange people.

Uganda is so much pretty than Kenya, it is very green and for the most part the roads are a lot better, meaning that there is more pavement here. On the way to Lake Bunyonyi, we stopped in Kampala, the capital and stayed the night in a hostel, called Red Chilies. Nice grounds with show and a bar. Loads of fun, it was the first night we all got drunk together and opened up a little.

We left there early and had a drive day. These days are long, hot, very bumpy and dusty. We arrived at a farm which was where we had a second night of bush camping. This means we stay out in the middle of no where in our tents. The stars are so beautiful, you can see every detail of them. This bush camp happened to be located on a farm of a family that Oasis sponsors one of their children to go to school. The farm had goats and cows. There were to little baby goats that were so cute. They would shake their tails every time they would drink milk. The cool thing about the cows where their horns are at least 3 feet big, not kidding, and these are the cows they milk!

The next day we were off to Lake Bunyonyi. We stopped in this town called Kabale. Gross town, very dirty with red dirt that causes everything to become a mess. I had to go shopping for my second night of cook group. The walk to the market was about 10 minutes on a main road with all the locals all looking at you, calling us white people. I can't think of the word right now. The market ended up being tucked away through these crazy hidden streets but once we found it, it offered a lot of great fruits and veggies. I eat healthier than I ever had in my life. NO Mexican food😞

Lake Bunyonyi, is like a resort after what we had been staying in. We had to drive up this huge one laned road through the mountains to get there. It was a beautiful but very sad drive for me. There are so many children here, most seem to have no parents. On the drive up the mountain, there were a lot of people breaking stone with other stones, carrying water and a lot of these people were small children with dirt on their faces. So sad.

The lake however, was beautiful. It has multiple levels for camping and entertainment. Trying to go from the truck to where set our tent was painful, so many stairs. While were there, we did nothing! It was so wonderful. Just sat on the dock, drank beers and listened to music. I did jump off this crazy jumping area that i had to climb up a tree to get to. Jen and I think the platform was 25 feet. The view of the lake was awesome from up there. It was a perfect end to Uganda.

Advertisement



21st June 2009

Thanks Leah, love how adventurous you are!

Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.123s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb