Our first proper day continued


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Eastern Region » Jinja
May 6th 2006
Published: May 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Right well lets pick up where we left off....the bus ride to Jinja.
After 3 plus hours we were dropped off outside Jinja to be mobbed by Boda bodas, now this is the african word for moped boys who for a price will run you from a to b. They formed a circle around us and our luggage and all at once asked where we wanted to go. Joan (the hospital director at Rushere) had recomended a place called Kingfisher, so we asked how much to get there. They seemed to agree 3000 shillings was a fair price, thats about 1 quid, so me and dom pulled a face like were sucking a lemon (that much!) and eventually got it down to 2000 shillings (66p) (bet you're proud of me mum!).
Riding on a boda boda is something I think everyone should experience, they have a max speed of maybe 50 mph but on the Ugandan roads (read dust tracks) they seem like break neck speeds.
Kingfisher turned out to be rather up market for us at a whopping $36 a night, so we decided we'd stay there as a one off, it was very nice and had a pool!
After getting settled in there we went to Jinja (on boda bodas ofcourse) we had to pay the grinning fool at the hotels front desk to ring us a boda boda, however they came promptly and soon we were in Jinja, this place we had heard so much about...turned out to be a bit of a ghost town, there were the odd few people on the streets (all of whom stared and pointed at the muzungos lol).
Aparently there is lots to do in Jinja but you need to head to the backpackers place to find it, we made a mental note of that and returned to Kingfishers to get suitably drunk as we may not have that luxury at the hospital.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb