Off to the hospital!


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda
May 8th 2006
Published: May 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The EquatorThe EquatorThe Equator

The weary travellers journey to the centre of the earth
Right well after being at Jinja we spent sunday travelling back to Kampala, was pretty uneventful so I though i'd skip ahead to the Monday when we left White Crest and headed to Rushere.
Rushere is a community hospital located in the south of Uganda, 3 and half hours from Kampala.
After picking up a few odds and ends from Kampala (food and medicine) we set off in the burning african heat.
I've actually started to like these long drives, the wind rushing in the windows makes the heat bareable and the countryside is fascinating. We kept passing through very poor looking towns. It appears that in Uganda, with the exception of the big cities, the towns spring up around the main road, with shops and houses either side. You might think, what should every town have? Butchers, bakers, pharmacy etc. But no the one shop that was in every town without fail was a store from the mobile phone provider MTN, sad in a way, as there is no way most of the local populace could afford to run a mobile.
After an hour we came to the equator, me and dom were rather excited so we stopped the bus and had our picture took. You could do the water swirl experiment here as well.....very cool (yep I'm a bit sad).
Back on the main road for another couple of hours when we saw our first sign for Rushere (yey!), at this point we turned onto the presidents road (so called as the presidents personal estate is located a bit further along it from Rushere). Now it being called the presidents road you'd be forgiven for thinking it might be in decent nick...no such luck....absolute dirt track with suspicious looking pot holes in it (scars left in the land since the civil war?) .
We arrived though safe and sound at the guest house located on the hospital premises.
The hospital looked better than i thought it would from the outside, larger and more modern looking than I figured.
The guest house also was very nice, running water and mosquito nets (no malaria for me fingers crossed!).
Lucy is in charge of looking after guests at Rushere, she is a very kind Kenyan lady who cooks all our meals, she greeted us off the bus and made sure we were settled in ok, and then made us a rather nice dinner of chicken and rice.
We then got our heads down in preparation for 7 weeks of tropical medicine.......

Advertisement



21st May 2006

Doing water experiments without the Piece around?
...bet he's well jealous! As are we all sir, great to hear about ur African adventures and glad to see you've toned it down slightly (thats the influence of living with a Norwich lad for 3 yrs me thinks!) Keep having a wicked time - now go cure some diseases! x

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb