Attacked by killer ants


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Eastern Region » Jinja
June 16th 2007
Published: June 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yes, know that the the title of ths entry sounds dramatic but, i feel lucky to be alive. I was attacked by army ants and it was extremely frightening buyt, luckily I made it out alive.

Just to give some preface to the attacks, we went to Sszeba Falls today and then to the Source of the Nile. It was so nice to get out of the city and away from most of the pollution, etc. for a bit. But, so Sszeba Falls is a waterfall that is very sacred to Ugandans because the king of the Buganda kingdom came there to pray and it is just a beautiful area. We got a tour and we were the only people n the falls and in the entire park/falls area. It did not seem like it received many visitors. but , it was so beautiful. so, surrounding the falls there is nothing but foresty area and some small huts. As we drove from the main road to the falls area, there were so many little kids who waved to us and said hi and stuff. There were also two little boys who I think lived in the area who took the tour with us, or trailed along with us. they were really sweet and the older one spoke pretty good english. Anyways, as we were hiking around the falls, there was a small portion that was covered with army ants and me and another guy n the middle of the pack had somehow nor gotten the warning to run through that part and the army ants crawled all over my feet and up my legs and they like latch on. you can't even flick them off, they just like dig into you and t hurts a lot. it was horrible. our guide had to come and like pry a bunch off of my feet (of course i was wearing flip flops because no one told us we would be hiking). the worst part is that some liek crawled all the way up my pants. so i literally had ants in my pants. ha ha. so funny. anyways, yeah so after that little experience the rest of the tour i was making sure i was not stepping into another army ant colony. ah well, i guess t is funny now, as i look back.

then, we went to jinja where the nile river starts. (ie. the source of the nile). as we were driving up to the entrance to that park like place, there were so many (like hundreds) well dressed Ugandans walking to the same place . It turns out that they had just been a part of a like a consortium for israel and they were the uqanda chapter. so, when they were all down at the source of the nile, they started praying and preachiing, etc. it was very interesting because they were born again christians and they were all praying dramatically and holding israeli flags, etc. it was very interesting.

anyways, so, that was our day. we go to the homestay tomorrow afternoon and n the morning am gong to go to a fabric market where you choose the fabric you like and then you go to one of the tailors rght there and they make it for you within like an hour. it sounds cool.

the msot interesting part of today though was all of the villages that we passed through on thr drive to the falls and the source. they really showed us what uganda is, etc. more on that later. for now
much luv and peace



Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb