Drop off Day


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Kampala
June 15th 2007
Published: June 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So, today is called Drop Off Day. Basically they drop off people in pairs in the middle of Kampala and we each have tasks. Mine was to find out about the different banks and find out where the best rates were. It is to make you realize that you can navigate the city and that it is not so big and unknown after all. And that is definetely true. The people here are so nice. And Kampala is not as big afterall. The worst part is thr traffic though because there are no lights, nothing, basically no rules of the road that I can tell.
Yesterday, we learned a bit of L'Uganda which is the language that most people speak here. Hopefully that will help me get around a little bit easier.
We ate at a Ugandan restaurant for lunch yesterday and then an Ethiopian restaurant last night. Ugandan food is interesting, I can't say it is my favorite but, it sdecent. So, for a Ugandan meal you choose a starch like millet, cassava, like cooked bananas and a whole bunch of other different kinds of starches than we have. Alone, those things have no tastee really so, you order a sacue with it and the sauce is basically the main dish, but it is alway in a sauce. So, you get chicken, beef, or rfish in some sortof sauce/broth. And then you eat it with the starch. The Ethiopian food last night was soo good.

So, yeah everything here is really good. The air is unbeleivably polluted, it is horrible. There are so many trucks and cars, etc and they all use like leaded gas I think. I am trying not to inhale. sometimes this is difficult. 😊
We met some students from another SIT(the school that is running my program) program in Uganda that ran for the entire semester and they took us out a bit and gave us some tips. It was good to meet people who had already been through the programa and made it out alive and lovedit so much that they are back here now working or doing research, etc.

Tomorrow we are going to Jinja, which is the sourceof the Nile. I am so excited for that. Then on Sunday we are going into our homestays. We will be with our homestay for about a week. I am nervous and excited about living with a Ugandan family.

Anyways, I hope life back in the USof A is going well. It is super hot and humid here. Email me!

much luv

Advertisement



16th June 2007

Ok i'm obsessed with east africa.
Matoki is the best staple food around and you should eat it instead of bananas or ugali whenever you can. totally big in kampala too... eeeeeeee have fun girl!

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb