Checking in on Our Loan Recipients


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region
March 13th 2023
Published: March 17th 2023
Edit Blog Post

My main purpose for my quick visit to Uganda (other than to see my Kigo Girls!!) was to check-in with the women who have received micro loans over the last year. Many of the ladies have their loans totally paid back, two will finish at the end of the month, and then there are six new loans since the start of this year.

All of the loans are matching loans. So the women have to save the same amount as the loan. That way it is a partnership in their future.

I thought I would share a few of their stories of the women who received loans last year:

Daisy stayed at the RWO shelter prior to it being closed during COVID. They were able to find her a foster family to take her in while she continues in school. She has some mental disabilities, but they still hope she can eventually support herself. She took part in the tailoring class and received an A+ on her exam. She took a loan for $250,000 UGX (Approximently $65 USD) to buy a sewing machine. She has the machine set-up at her foster home. She is quite detail oriented when she puts her mind to it, so her craftsmanship is improving quickly.

Gloria And Milly: Both of these ladies were part of the hair braiding class and passed their exams last month. They received a loan for $500,000 UGX (Approximately $150 USD), and $1,000,000 UGX respectively to buy supplies to start their individual mobile salons. They will visit womens home to wash and plat their hair. It typically takes 4 hours for one client and the fee is $40,000 to $60,000 UGX ($10 to $15 USD) for their labor plus supplies for the weave.

Jennifer and Shamin: They do not work as a team, but both have the similar business model. They each received a loan for $500,000 UGX so they could jump start their businesses. Early in the morning they go to the section of the market in Kampala when the stalls are opened. They pick either specifically for customers or what they think customers might like. Then they take the clothes back to their village and sell them there.

Justine: In the past she had a store in Kitala near RWO. But she had serious domestic violence issues with her partner. At the end her life was frequently threatened, he would come in break the goods in her store. etc. While it is not common, she had the confidence to walk away from the relationship and move 1.5 hours away where she would be safe. She started a new store there and received a loan for $1,000,000 UGX (Approx. $300 USD) to buy inventory for the holidays. Since then she has been able to expand her offerings from primarily alcohol to more of a general corner store.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb