Safari - day 14


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Kampala
June 24th 2007
Published: June 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After leaving Lake Bunyoni yesterday we travelled to a small campsite on way to Kampala, and stopped for the night. We were all feeling a little restless so we decided to go for a walk up a mountain, and we got some local children to guide us for a small fee (about 20p). It was a fairly steep track, and we were all absolutely shattered by the time we got back to the campsite, but were able to relax and watch some african dancing/singing that the locals had arranged for us. The dancers (female) were all wearing the traditional dress of half grass skirts over the top of their clothes, and were dancing along to the singing and drum beats from the musicians. After a while they got all of us to join in as well, and we were all jumping along to the music!

This morning we got up and set off for Kampala, stopping at the equator along the way. A local showed us 'the equator trick' - he put water in a basin and let it drain out on both sides, and put a flower in to show us that it drained clockwise on the north side, anticlockwise on the south side, and straight down along the equator. We also stopped for lunch along the equator in a place called Equation Cafe, where they had amazing cinnamon muffins amongst other things.

After lunch we drove on further to a drum market just outside Kampala, and lots of the group got out and bought traditional african drums, after which the journey got much noisier! The market consisted of three shops entirely devoted to african drums hung from every space on the walls and ceilings - quite a sight.

We then continued into Kampala to buy food and use the internet, and then later we head back to the same campsite we were in last time we were in Kampala - the Red Chilli Hideaway. Tomorrow we cross the border back into Kenya.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb