Safari - day 15


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Rift Valley Province
June 28th 2007
Published: June 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived back in Kenya a few days ago, and stayed again in a campsite near Eldoret. We pretty much spent two entire days travelling on the truck, but then arrived in a campsite at Lake Bunyoni, where we camped among hippos! On the way to Lake Bunyoni we came to a large ditch where the road had collapsed and there was a lorry stuck in it, we tried to help out for a bit but after the Army arrived our tour leader decided it was no longer safe for us to help, so we went a bit further away from the road and threw rocks into the ditch to fill it up and create our own road! Having successfully navigated this obstacle, we then had to drive through a river and a really muddy patch of road, which was pretty scary - everyone was being thrown about the truck, but it was okay in the end.

We just hung out at the campsite and relaxed on our first night at Lake Bunyoni, and then the next day we went to visit the local African tribe - the Pokot tribe. They were all dressed in traditional costume (not for our benefit - that is just what they wear) of animal skins and beads. They were all covered in large amounts of scars - we were told this is from when they beat the women with canes to discipline them, or they beat the men as a test of endurance - nice! We also had a look inside one of their huts, which slept 7 people, but was so small that you definitely couldn't even fit one normal sized single bed in it. The tribe also treated us to some traditional dancing, in which they jumped up and down a lot, and they also got us to join in, which was good fun.

Unfortunately I didn't actually see a hippo whilst at the campsite, but I did hear them in the night making a kind of laughing sound. We left the camp this morning to continue our journey back towards Nairobi, where we are picking up four more passengers.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0723s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb