Safari - day 21


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » North » Marangu
July 4th 2007
Published: July 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After leaving lake Baringo (sorry - got the names mixed up in the last blog, it was Baringo and not Bunyoni) we travelled to Lake Naivasha where we stopped on the way to visit Joy Adamson's hosue (the writer of Born Free) and have tea and cake - a very strange thing to do in Africa! After our first night at Naivasha we went on a boat to a place called Green Crater Lake where we did a walking safari - I managed to get as close as 5ft away from a giraffe, as well as seeing some zebra, gazelle and wilderbeast fairly close up.
In the evening we went to a disco on the campsite, and spent the evening dancing away to a mixture of english and african music in an empty aircraft hanger - very random!

The next day we moved on to the Masai Mara and went on an evening and morning game drive. We saw a pride of lions on both drives (about 20 lions in total) - on the morning drive the lions actually walked right past the wheels of our truck! I have also now seen elephants, and so only need to see leopards to have seen all of the big 5.

After our morning game drive we pressed on to Nairobi, and arrived at about 8 o'clock at night, so just put up our tents and collapsed. The following day we went into Nairobi to look at a giraffe and an elephant sanctuary - I got kissed by a giraffe! We also went out for an evening meal at a place called Carnivore, which is rated among the top 50 restaurants in the world. We paid $20 for a meal, and then they brought us soup and salad to start off with, and then as much meat as we could eat. The meat was skewered on a sword and they came along and carved it straight onto our plates. Unfortunately they didn't have any crocodile meat while we were there, but I did try ostrich.

Yesterday morning we went back to the hotel where I first stayed in Nairobi to pick up some more passengers for the tour (2 girls and 2 boys), so we now have a completely full truck. We then crossed the border into Tanzania and arrived at our campsite near Marangu at 10pm last night.

This morning I went for a walking tour of Marangu, and saw the local waterfalls which come all the way down from Mount Kilimanjaro. We also got to see some coffee and other fruit plantations. This afternoon we will move on to Arusha.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0396s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb