Safari -day 8


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Kampala
June 18th 2007
Published: June 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at the campsite last night and I had my first cooking duty of the trip (along with 2 other girls). We managed to make chilli con carni for 27 people for only 18 pounds (plus breakfast the next day)! It all turned out well apart from we ended up with far too much rice left over, but we're having curry tomorrow so it can go with that.

This morning we got into a matatu (taxi minibus) and headed over to Lake Victoria to go and see some chimps on an island in the middle. When we arrived at the port, we found that the tour company was operating on Africa Time (they're very lax about timings) and so we had an hour to kill looking around the local animal sanctuary. This was a pretty poor sanctury with cages far too small for all the animals, and all the animals were injured in some way, so this wasn't the most pleasant part of our trip.

The boat (a small wooden craft) finally arrived to take us to the island (I've forgotten the name already), and we had a very bumpy, wet crossing for a couple of hours over the lake to finally arrive at the chimp island. A guide met us off the boat and gave us some food and drink, and then we went to watch the feeding of the chimps, which was quite impressive, and they gave us a bit of a talk about them. The island had been wholly turned into a sanctury for chimps, and was a gorgeous green island with a few huts on the small area of beach inhabited by the humans who were looking after/studying the chimps.

After a game of volleyball with some school children who were also visiting the island, we headed back to the mainland to go back to the campsite for the night, but on the boat ride back, some of the group got out to swim in the lake as we passed over the equator (which was the third time we have crossed it). The lake was pretty rough again, with large waves, and we were all feeling a little sea sick by the time we arrived back on land. After that we got back into the matatus and headed back to camp for another relaxing evening. We move on again early tomorrow morning to Lake Bunyoni (about a 10/11hr drive away).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb