safari - day 7


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Kampala
June 17th 2007
Published: June 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a big party in the bar on our second night in the camp near Jinja, we got up fairly early (9ish) to go quad biking around the local villages. The quad bikes were quite difficult to handle at first, but we soon got used to them and were speeding around all over the place (following our guide), and trying to avoid the chickens! We went around on the back roads (although they were so narrow they were more like paths) and saw lots of people in outside their houses all shouting jambo (hello) at us as we went past. We also saw lots of rapids on the Nile, and even stopped for a while to watch some rafts try to make it down one (which they all somehow managed to, despite the fact that they had to pass through a wall of water to do so!).

After the quad biking I had a relaxing afternoon at the campsite, and then in the evening we went for a meal in a local restaurant run by the local charity, Softpower. We were given the specialities of the area, which consisted of an incredibly sweet pumpkin soup, followed by rice with peanut sauce, beef, and mashed banana - all pretty different to the food back in England, even though some of it sounds the same. They also showed us some artwork by a local artist who was trying to pay for his university fees, and some of the group bought paintings.

This morning we had another fairly early start, and got back onto the truck to move on to the next campsite, called Red Chilli hideaway, in Kampala (the capital of Uganda). We haven't arrived there yet as we stopped in a big shopping complex in order to get food/use the internet etc, so I'll have to let you know about that after I've seen it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb