safari day 5


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Eastern Region » Jinja
June 15th 2007
Published: June 15th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After leaving Nakuru for the second time on wednesday, we drove a long way to a camp in the middle of nowhere in the Kenyan highlands near to Eldoret. It was an amazing campsite - hot running water, flush toilets with toilet paper, and even a soap dispenser by the taps! There was also a really nice bar in an underground cavern, with two fires to keep us warm! Pretty nice altogether.

The next morning (thursday) we got back on the truck for an early morning start after a breakfast of scrambled eggs and mango (random but nice!) and basically spent the entire day travelling to our next campsite in Uganda. We crossed the border at about midday, and when we stopped there to sort out our visas lots of people tried to sell us things through the side of our truck, including passports! After a long and uneventful journey we arrived in another really nice campsite overlooking the river Nile just outside Jinja.

The weather in Uganda is much warmer than it was in Kenya, and we had our first dry afternoon of the trip, which we all enjoyed. The campsite had a bar with sand on the floor, and after a few drinks we all began to dance with the locals in the sand. Most of the group got up the next morning to go white water rafting on the Nile, but I decided to go along with a couple of others (Amy - a south african, and Elsa from Aberdeen) to have a look around the town. We hopped onto bodas (motorbike taxis) and travelled into town this morning with the wind blowing through our hair - pretty nice way to travel! It is raining at the moment (again) so we are in the internet cafe until it stops, and will then go to look around the market.

I think tomorrow we will go on a quad bike safari, and then maybe go and have a look at the local charity (softpower) community project. Everywhere I have been so far all the people have been really friendly and helpful, as long as you get used to the fact that people will hassle you to buy things from them all the time! Also, you have to use your haggling skills for everything apart from places with set prices, such as supermarkets and bars, but I'm getting better at that. I managed to pick up some earrings for about 70p when to start off with they asked me for 10 pounds!

The rain has stopped now, so it's time to go and hit the market to see what bargains I can pick up!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.053s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb