New Loan Recipients


Advertisement
Uganda's flag
Africa » Uganda » Central Region » Entebbe
March 16th 2023
Published: March 21st 2023
Edit Blog Post

While in Uganda I wanted to visit as many of my new loan recipients as possible so I could see where they are starting from. I had the opportunity to meet most of them so I will share their stories with you:

Jane: We went to Kampala last week to visit Jane at her stall. She received a loan for $2,000,000 UGX (Approx $600) so she could 'move up the food chain' for second hand clothes. She used to buy a few pieces of clothing from a supplier and bring them to the market to sell. Now with the loan she can buy a whole bail of clothes. An average bail might cost $1,000,000 UGX. She will get it very early in the morning and then people will come to her and buy the clothes to resell. This jump up allows her much more consistency as well as larger profits.

Dorothy: She has a retail shop just outside of Irene’s home. She is a very impressive women. She has started a savings and support group with the women in the neighborhood. They were connected to RWO for financial literacy and that is how their relationship started. She used her loan of $1,000,000 UGX to increase her inventory at the store. She has a lot of issues with her husband so we hope when the store makes more money she will have the financial freedom to walk away.

Irene: This is who I call ‘other Irene’. She lives with Irene and helps to care for the compound. Irene adopted her son so she could support him. Irene has an event planning business. She got a loan for $1,500,000 UGX so she could buy equipment to cater larger events. The loan quickly paid off as she booked a wedding while I was there. I saw pictures and then event went great!

Miriam: She has an at home business of making and selling soap. She received a loan for $1,000,000 UGX so she could purchase some equipment to make larger quantities of soap. She has enough people requesting her soap that she can not keep up with the orders.

Passy: Passy and her mom have a silver fish business. Her loan for $2,000,000 UGX allowed her to step up to being a wholesaler. The small fish are caught near the island that her mom lives on. They are then dried in the sun and sent on a 4 hour boat ride to Entebbe where Passy has buyers lined up before they even arrive.

Sylvia: I did not have the chance to meet her. But, she has a small charcoal business. The loan for $1,000,000 UGX has allowed her to rent a small store front so her customers can come to her instead of her making deliveries.

Meeting this women make me excited to return again so I can see how they have progressed. They are very determined women who I believe will work hard for themselves and their families to have a better life.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0726s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb